Capturing footage at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old March 18th, 2007, 01:58 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Capturing footage

Hi all, I've got Premiere Pro 2.0 and an A1.

Basically, I'm shooting in SD at the moment, and I'm wondering how to retain the highest possible image quality from camera to pc. Now, At the moment, it looks good, but it is nothing compared to plugging the camera into the TV and watching it on that.

So, my question is; is quality loss inevitable in transfer? Or is my set-up affecting it, i.e is PP2.0 bad for capturing video (would somthing like Avid or Vegas capture in higher quality?)

Or is it my firewire cable? Would a more expensive one make it better?

Any advice would be much appreciated...

Best all,

Giles B
Giles Buchanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2007, 09:32 PM   #2
Trustee

If you are shooting DV, and capturing DV, then it should look the same as playing it back over composite cables to the TV, or even better.

Capturing is like a file transfer. No NLE captures better than any other. Tell us about your proiject settings. Perhaps you are capturing it fine but playing it back in the wrong project settings?
Old March 18th, 2007, 10:36 PM   #3
Inner Circle

You are capturing 1's and zeros over firewire. There would be no quality loss in transfer.

When your are editing,in premeire though, you are seeing your stuff in the preview window of Premiere through computer graphics. If you want to see your finished product as it will actually look on TV, you could actually preview out to TV if your video cards supports it, or send it out to your camcorder, in turn sending signal to the the TV monitor. This may require full render before doing so. (This won't work with HDV, however.)
Old March 19th, 2007, 11:23 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Ah OK, that's good info. Maybe it is my PC then. I am guessing it's somthing to do with the physical build of the screen compared to a television...

Cheers for the advice,

Regards,

Giles B
Giles Buchanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2007, 12:37 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Have you tried watching the same footage via a media player software and not via PPRO? Computer screens actually give a very good picture... I am often watching DVDs on my laptop and get a picture that seems better than a regular TV.
Old March 27th, 2007, 05:07 PM   #6
Trustee

Are you by chance capturing DV footage downconverted from HDV inside your camera?

My A1U has the option to downcovert inside the camera as it captures. SO, I shooting everything in HDV, capture it and work with it in DV in PPro2.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite