color correction is a bigggg time consumer at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old March 19th, 2007, 11:40 PM   #1
Regular Crew

color correction is a bigggg time consumer

Wowzers! Added a little color correction to a SD project on 3 clips (ok they're pretty long), nothing major, just some minor adjustments... now rendering will take at least 12 hours to get through this project, whereas without the minor colour correction it's about 10 minutes or so... Now I see color correction is ideally done in camera prior to hitting record!

Just thought I'd share my experience...
Michael Barrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2007, 12:17 AM   #2
Trustee

That seems a little looooong. You neglected to mention what software, codec, system you are using. Are you in AE 16bit? Maybe render out your other FX first, then do your CC.
Old March 20th, 2007, 06:43 AM   #3
Major Player

The predicted rendered time is often inaccurate. If you have a lot of effects in the beginning, and nothing later on, it will at first show you that your material will take much time to render. In truth, it won't.
Bart Walczak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2007, 12:33 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Yes, turns out my post was a little hasty. It rendered significantly faster than it said it would. Color correction definitely ups the time significantly, but in the end was reasonable...

Cheers,
M
Michael Barrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2007, 06:21 PM   #5
Major Player

For typical color correction operations (chroma, phase, brightness, contrast), you can use our Enosoft DV Processor to perform real-time correction (either during capture, printing back to tape or from AVI-to-AVI). You can even insert the computer between two SD DV devices and use it as a real-time hardware video processor.

See my profile for the website link.
John Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2007, 03:22 AM   #6
Regular Crew

If you're doing a lot of colour correction, it may be worth looking at an RT board that supportsa Premiere. I use a DV Storm with Premiere 6.5 and I can do realtime colour correction on 2 clips at the same time. Saves loads of time!

Hope this helps
Graham Risdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2007, 01:37 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I have the Matrox RTX2 and the older RT100X, both accelerate those sorts of things so that it edits in real time (RT).

Export of SD projects to mpg for DVD is faster in real time in both. HD takes about 2X real time to make HD into mpg2 for SD DVD. I also exported a HD clip as mpg2 for 1080i for future Blu-ray disk, that was taking 2-2.5X real time.

Bill
Bill Ritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2007, 07:26 AM   #8
Regular Crew

[ I also exported an HD clip as mpg2 for 1080i for future Blu-ray disk, ]

How did you do that Bill ? I have the Pro2/Matrox RTX2 combo and the only way I have found to save an HDV project for eventual distribution on HD-DVD or Blu-ray is to export to tape ? Or is that what you mean ? When will we be able to export HDV to HD-DVD/Blu-ray from within the RTX2/Prem2 set up ?
Mike Wade is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite