DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   Secondary monitors (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/90019-secondary-monitors.html)

Alan James March 27th, 2007 01:48 AM

Secondary monitors

Is there a way of using a secondary monitor to view my sequence like you can do easily in Final Cut?

I want to be able to have my time line and my "program" monitor on one of my monitors (the usual layout). Then on my secondary monitor (which is full HD) I want to be able to view my HD footage full screen and full resolution. How do I do this?

Steven Gotz March 27th, 2007 01:55 AM

That depends on your graphics card. Most people editing HDV just get a card that has Component outputs to a HD monitor. The Matrox Parhelia APVe can do two screens plus a monitor (which is what I have), and the nVidia Quadro FX-560 can do one of each.

Or, if it is good enough, just set up your second monitor to display the overlay full screen.

If you tell us what card you already have, we might be able to give you suggestions on how to set it up.

Alan James March 27th, 2007 02:39 AM

Sending the image is fine. I just dont know how to set up the program to send a fullscreen signal to the second monitor. Its easy to do in Final Cut but I have PC at home so...I cant run it :-(

Just for the record I have a Radeon 9800 pro (a bit old but it works) and I have the secondary set up on a VGA (through the DVI outlet with a VGA adaptor cause the TV only has a VGA).

Steven Gotz March 27th, 2007 07:35 AM

Does this help?

http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?128@@.3bc1d63f

Alan James March 27th, 2007 10:39 AM

Sorry to say nope it dosnt answer my question at all.

I'll explain again in case it was confusing (i have been told i can be that way).

In final cut if you have 2 monitors you can just turn on the program with the normal layout on your primary monitor and nothing on your second. Then u push a key and the second monitor turns into a viewing monitor. It looks a bit like this.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d1...e_monitors.jpg

I wanna do this with PP2. How do I?

Steven Gotz March 27th, 2007 10:48 AM

Alan,

That's pretty much how it looks on my system but there is no button to push. Any time I set up the Playback Settings to go to an external device, it grabs the second monitor like in your picture. The rest of the time the second monitor is just an extra extension of the desktop. I have a different card but the concept should be the same.

Set up your playback settings to use an external device. If your card is set up correctly, your second monitor will show the program monitor in full screen (or letterboxed if you have a 4:3 monitor like mine).

If this doesn't help. email me from my web site if you lie, include a phone number, and a good time to call. I think I should be able to assist you.

Alan James March 27th, 2007 12:25 PM

I don't have AspectHD. Will I need it to do this? And I also want to be able to do this with my SD projects, cause honestly I shoot more SD right now then HD. HD is mostly for work, where I use FinalCut.

So lets assume I have just installed Premiere and I am trying to set this up. What are the steps and where should I go in the menu to find them?

Steven Gotz March 27th, 2007 12:41 PM

Well, with SD you are much better off going out through firewire to a deck or camera with composite connections to your television.

Since that is not available with HDV, we settle for a second monitor or we buy graphics cards with component outputs. I chose the later.

In any case, you do not need Aspect HD. I will do this as I write it to make sure it comes out exactly right.

1. Create a new Adobe HDV project - I use 60i
2. Open the twirl down menu in the Program monitor panel
3. Select "Playback Settings"
4. In the Realtime Playback section there is a drop down for External Device. Select Monitor 2. (If this is not an option, your graphics card is not set up correctly)
5. Import a still image or video clip and you should see the program grab the second monitor when you put the clip on the sequence. You may have to scrub or play to get it to work.

Let me know how it goes, and once again, you are a local call for me, so email me a number and we can discuss this if it does not work for you.

Alan James March 27th, 2007 12:55 PM

Yup. Worked perfectly. Now I wanna be able to do that With SD. The monitor I'm using dosnt have a composite cable input, only VGA and component, and for some reason going through firewire slows down my computer a lot and sometimes dosnt work at all. That really dosnt matter though cause I cant get my footage from my deck back to the monitor.

I have a rather old computer when talking about video editing, and to play HD I have to actually turn off background fuctions, and its still laggy at times, so I do most of my stuff SD, I just knew this function worked with HD so I referenced it. I dont care if ppl see my number, its 813-310-4868 and I'm not busy until 4:30. Thanx