URGENT audio problem - how to use De-Hum... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old April 3rd, 2007, 03:35 AM   #1
Major Player

URGENT audio problem - how to use De-Hum...

hi guys I have a major problem. I recorded a wedding using an external mic on my DVX100 and headphones. I head a buzzing sound in the headphones but assumed it was only coming through the headphones as i'd never heard it before, now its all over my footage.

I see there are a lot of de-hum, de-hiss type effects in premiere but none of them seem to be doing a lot... and i am not very experienced in audio effects.

Here is a sample of the audio problem. If anyone has any fast suggestions on how to cure this or perhaps could try to get rid of the hum yourself and let me know what settings you use i would be MASSIVELY greatful...

The sample is here:

http://www.rideoutproductions.co.uk/directions.html

Thanks in advance.

David
David J. Payne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2007, 04:24 AM   #2
Inner Circle

You could try Soundsoap, I think it'd clean that hum out.

http://www.bias-inc.com/products/soundsoap/
Allan Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2007, 04:40 AM   #3
Major Player

thanks for your prompt reply Allan, I will certainly look into that program. Do you happen to know if there is a free way of doing this? I was hoping to get an idea of how to use premiere's in build audio editing features to remove some of the hum if this is possible?
David J. Payne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2007, 04:58 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Sorry I don't know premiere; try Googling 'free audio noise removal program' there's a few listed there, including Audacity, a noted free audio program.

Don't try the Soundoap trial program, it fades in and out. But if you do buy it, get it for $US99 around the traps, but not from Bias which makes it and charges $US129. I'd like to put that price through it!!

That's a solid hum you got there, sounds mains induced..?
Allan Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2007, 05:06 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I've had good sucess using Audacity. Its free. Export the audio from your NLE. Open the file in Audacity. Find a spot on the timeline where there is only the hum, highlight that section. Under the Effects menu select Remove Noise. Read the instructions. Click the get noise profile....or something like that. Under the Edit menu select Select All. Back to Remove Noise in the Effects menu. Move the slider all the way to the left and click the Remove Noise button under the slider.

If it does not remove enough go back and start over this time moving the slider not quite all the way to the left. repeat if needed.

HTH and YMMV and any of those other capital letters you might think applies.

Randy
Randall Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2007, 06:32 AM   #6
Major Player

guys thankyou so much, audacity is a great piece of software and did the job brilliantly!!

thanks all for your prompt help.

David
David J. Payne is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite