Export to Tape with PP2.0 - anyone? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old April 4th, 2007, 10:13 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Export to Tape with PP2.0 - anyone?

Ok, I've gotten myself in the middle of a finger-pointing game between Adobe and Canon and I would like some help.

Myself (and at least one other, Bill Ritter) can't get Adobe Premiere Pro 2.0 to output 1080i timelines back to tape longer than around 5 minutes. The A1 just stops recording. PP2.0 does not crash (you can cancel the export). The video that is exported looks fine. The hang
does not occur at the exact same spot each time.

Adobe says - we've heard of this. No work-around. It's a problem with the A1.

Canon says - we've never heard of this, must be your camera, please send it in. Ugh.

So -----
Has anyone with an A1 and PP2.0 been able to export a 1080i timeline >6 minutes to tape?

If you have access to this set-up and could do an experiment, that would really help.

Thanks.
Old April 4th, 2007, 02:42 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I followed the manual carefully with the A1 and as referenced was unable to export to tape on any of my HD projects. I tried different lengths and had the same problem - PP2 renders, then starts the camcorder, which begins taping and then the camcorder quits. PP2 continues as if it is exporting.

Anyone with ** any editing system ** that can export back to tape, please let us know. In one respect I have decided this is not critical, as I can export to mpg2 at a high rate and record the file to Blu-ray for about the same price per hour, albeit a little more compressed.

Thanks,

Bill in Ohio
Bill Ritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2007, 02:56 PM   #3
Major Player

Larry,

I tried this with an A1 and HV10. Same problem as you with both cameras. You can find details in my response to Bill's thread in the HV10/HV20 forum. Both my cameras say something like 'check the DV/HDV connection'. Premiere continues outputting the stream when the camera stops and I found that I could hit stop and then record on the camera and get it to start recording again for 5-6 minutes before it stops recording again. The connection and cable have not been a problem while capturing, so I don't really think it is a bad cable or connection, especially when you report the same thing.
Lloyd Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2007, 04:48 PM   #4
New Boot

I'm from the PAL land and I've just managed to export almost 7 min. footage (25f) with no problem at all.
Kuba Majewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2007, 05:06 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Are you guys trying to export 24f content? According to Premiere's Support Center, exporting 24F to tape is not supported.

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloa...jsp?ftpID=3408
Adam La Prade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2007, 05:45 PM   #6
Regular Crew

My export was 1080 60i.

Also the presets for 24f and 25f for PP2 are available as a down load from adobe now. That is for capture of course.

Canon Tech support told me he talked to somone else yesterday about this problem and they have sent info off to higher up the tech chain. He said check for info on their support page -- probaby not a good answer for awhile I would guess.

I asked him to bug them for how they checked that it exported to tape? A utility? Which NLE did they use?

Thanks,

Bill in Ohio
Bill Ritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2007, 05:46 PM   #7
Major Player

Adam -

I am trying 1080i.

Kuba -

Try something a little longer than 7 min. That seems about the limit that I can do. See if you can go 10-15. Thanks

Larry -

On the Adobe site they have a hardware compatibility page. They don't list the A1 or HV10, but do list the L-H1, Canon's first HD camera. They claim partial support, not full support, with this note "Export to tape is not supported with this camera". It appears that Premiere works with other HD cameras besides Canon and that Canon works with other editors besides Premiere. Its just the combination of Canon-Premiere that seems to have the problem. I would like to see a confirmation from someone using a Canon HD camera and another NLE (Final Cut, Vegas, Avid, etc) that can successfully export to tape.
Lloyd Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2007, 08:30 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Someone asked if they can export with "any editing system" I use Edius and export easily for a full hour to tape with a utility supplied with Edius called

MPEG TS Writer

I render my timeline to an m2t file and then open this file in MPEG TS Writer and hit the export button. I have exported nearly one hour flawlessly back to the camera with no problem. I know it's not Premiere but someone asked for "any editing system"
Philip Hinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2007, 08:52 PM   #9
Regular Crew

I have suspected that this is an Adobe issue, which is why I am very hesitant to send the camera to Canon per their Tech Support's request. The more data I get, the more I put the responsibility with Adobe. You'd think both companies would want to get this fixed, it isn't like Premiere or the A1 are "fringe" products!!!!!!!!!!

I, also, am trying to write 1080 60i timelines. The message that flashes on the LCD is exactly what Lloyd is seeing.
Old April 4th, 2007, 09:02 PM   #10
Regular Crew

I am also writing 1080 60i. I don't mess around with that 24f/p stuff. For what I do (event work) 1080 60i is great. I don't understand the 24p cinema stuff that well and whenever I have played with it the stuttery look to the playback is not for me. I haven't figured out how to get that smooth.

Anyway, 1080 60i exports great with my application.

Just a thought. I didn't need it so I never installed it but would some of the software that came with the camera export an m2t file. Does it have to be exported from Adobe. Couldn't you just render the timeline to an m2t file and then export through a 3rd party app till Adobe gets if figured out. There has to be an app out there that will export the file.
Philip Hinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2007, 03:31 AM   #11
New Boot

Lloyd,

I did another test. This time I exported 11 min. footage, again with no problem at all.
Old April 5th, 2007, 06:08 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuba Majewski View Post
Lloyd,

I did another test. This time I exported 11 min. footage, again with no problem at all.
Thanks for the data Kuba.

We're all having the issue with 1080 60i. Any way you could try that?
Old April 5th, 2007, 07:08 AM   #13
New Boot

Unfortunately (or maybe I should say fortunately) I only have the PAL model of Canon XH A1. Sorry that I can't help.
Old April 5th, 2007, 10:11 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Here's the latest from Adobe:

Hello Larry,
Thank you for contacting Adobe® Web Support for assistance with Adobe
Premiere Pro 2.0®
I understand that you are seeing other Premiere Pro users experiencing
the same export to tape issue with the Canon XH-A1®, and one user
reporting they were able to export from Canopus Edius®.
As indicated previously, this is an issue we are aware of with this
camera that occurs with other software besides Premiere Pro. When we
have seen this issue, it has happened with every editing
package that was tried. Export to tape from this camera is not supported
with this camera from Premiere Pro, and we would recommend contacting
Canon for assistance.
Kind regards,
Leland B.
Adobe Web Support
Old April 5th, 2007, 10:14 AM   #15
Disjecta

LOL, that's a funny and inaccurate response. I can export to my camera using Vegas without a hitch. I never use Premiere for that task.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite