PP3 - anyone know if HDV scene detect will work finally? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old April 16th, 2007, 09:19 PM   #1
Major Player

PP3 - anyone know if HDV scene detect will work finally?

In the new release of Premiere pro 3 I hope they have given us Scene detect for HDV.
I dont really understand why it dosnt work in Premiere pro 2. Whats the deal? Anyone know>?
Old April 16th, 2007, 10:00 PM   #2
Trustee

Scene detect works (I think :). In my little test before it crashed, I captured some cineform HD using the cineform HDV and was able to select scene detect. But hold on, it's not a real test as HDV is disabled in the beta, and I'm not sure why I was able to capture some CFHD into an SD project. It's did split the scene files but I was not able to edit them (PPro3 crashed). I checked the captured clips in the folder, and they were 1440x1080i cineform files and worked fine in PPro2.
Old April 16th, 2007, 10:56 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyson Persall View Post
In the new release of Premiere pro 3 I hope they have given us Scene detect for HDV.
I dont really understand why it dosnt work in Premiere pro 2. Whats the deal? Anyone know>?
It (scene detect) will only work in PP2 if you have the Cineform plugin (Aspect HD) that sets you back an additional $400. Yes, I think it is a bum deal as I purchased PP2 thinking it would scene detect.

I have since purchased Vegas7 which will scene detect right out of the box and is very stable.

I don't know about PP3 scene detect and now don't care as I am now lost to Vegas!!
Old April 17th, 2007, 09:25 AM   #4
Major Player

so what was it about Vegas that led you away from premiere?
Old April 17th, 2007, 02:11 PM   #5
Trustee

The answer to the question is that since HDV is not supported in the Public Beta, nobody can answer your question.

Anybody on the regular beta still has an NDA to deal with.
Old April 18th, 2007, 03:11 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyson Persall View Post
so what was it about Vegas that led you away from premiere?
Hi Tyson,

I guess that this was directed at me.

Some of the reasons for going to Vegas.

PP2 freezes and crashes to often. (AMD64x2 4800, 2 gig ram, 4 drives, nvidia7950GT)
Need an add on to get scene detect to work (+$400).
Poor quality export to DVD using media encoder - need third party apps to get best result - slow.

I am new to all NLEs so being a long time photoshop user thought PP2 interface would be easier to learn, well it's not too bad but after loading the 30 day trial of Vegas, found it to be easier and more intuitive. Also stable etc etc

PP2 is twice the price even without the essential Cineform Aspect HD. Vegas includes DVD Architect and Sound Forge. I purchased Cineform HD link to converted selected .m2t files to .avi for editing ($200).

Just wish I had discovered this board before I purchased a NLE.
Old April 18th, 2007, 07:20 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Scene Detect is NOT included with CS3. You can purchase a program called DVsplit (I think that is what it is called) I hear a lot of good things about it. It is not that expensive either. To get more information you can do a search on the Adobe forums.

CS3 will have a preview for HDV. That is one improvement.
Todd Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2007, 07:40 AM   #8
Trustee

HDVSplit is free.

Since the public beta does not support HDV, there is no way to tell if the regular beta has scene detect. Nobody who actually knows is allowed to tell.
Old April 18th, 2007, 11:05 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Sorry Steven, Jeff in the labs spilled the beans.
Todd Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2007, 11:17 AM   #10
Trustee

So I see. Don't be sorry. If he spilled the beans then he must have had permission to do so. It just means that I am glad I don't scene detect in Premiere Pro anyway. Either HDVSplit or Cineforms HDLink will do the trick.
Old April 20th, 2007, 11:31 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Good evening,

I use pp 1.5 and I never use sceene detect. I have never seen a scene detect that divids the sceenes the way I would anyway.

Just curious, why do you even use it??
Old April 21st, 2007, 08:54 AM   #12
Trustee

The main reason to scene detect HDV footage is that audio sync problems sometimes occur when you capture over a scene break. It has something to do with the incomplete GOP.

Another reason is that Premiere Pro has problems with subclips taken from long captures.

Another reason, for me at least, is that I shoot a lot of wasted tape. With smaller files I can throw out the junk and not have to archive big files where only a relatively few frames are usable.

Manually capturing would probably be optimal, but I find that scene detect allows me to walk away or do other things (on a different PC) while capturing.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite