Possible to put text in letterbox? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old April 21st, 2007, 11:22 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Possible to put text in letterbox?

Hello!

I'm editing HDV footage in Premiere Pro 2. In the program window, the video takes up the entire window (which is a good thing!). But when I export it and select square pixel ratio, letterboxes are added to the top and bottom of the project.

I'm fine with all of this, but I'd like to know how to add text to the letterboxes.

As a side note, I am using Adobe Media Encoder to export the project as a quicktime .mov file using h.264 compression. Also, the frame size of the .mov file is 320x240, while the source video is 1440x1080.

Thanks!
Roland Gatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2007, 03:12 PM   #2
Trustee

The only way I know of to do that would be to create a 4:3 project, import the widescreen project, and scale down the clips to fit sideways, which leaves room at the top and bottom. Use the titler to add text.

But why are you not exporting your widescreen as widescreen?

400X224 works pretty well.
Old April 21st, 2007, 06:33 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Gotz View Post
The only way I know of to do that would be to create a 4:3 project, import the widescreen project, and scale down the clips to fit sideways, which leaves room at the top and bottom. Use the titler to add text.

But why are you not exporting your widescreen as widescreen?

400X224 works pretty well.
hey steve, thanks for your response. you have been so helpful over the past few weeks!

i'm exporting as 320x240 b/c it's for youtube. would your recommend a different size for youtube? thanks!
Roland Gatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2007, 07:04 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland Gatto View Post
i'm exporting as 320x240 b/c it's for youtube. would your recommend a different size for youtube? thanks!
Under 100 MB for youtube. Make if 4:3 aspect ratio. As large and as high quality as you can get it in one of the supported upload formats and still be able to upload (I have Verizion FiOS, so upload speed ain't no big for me...). E.g., 640x480.

Youtube will downconvert--it's larger than 320x240. Also, if you have 16:9 material, then letterbox it before exporting/uploading. I haven't figured out how to get youtube to not squeeze down 16:9 material...

HTH,
Matt
Matt Vanecek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2007, 07:34 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Vanecek View Post
Also, if you have 16:9 material, then letterbox it before exporting/uploading. I haven't figured out how to get youtube to not squeeze down 16:9 material...
That used to happen to me too, but lately I've been uploading 16:9 anamorphic material and YouTube has been letterboxing it for me. Not sure if they finally got their act together, or I'm just doing something different.
Chris Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2007, 09:17 PM   #6
Trustee

That means my original answer is the way to go for Roland. Just scale down the footage in a 4:3 project, add the titles and send it to YouTube.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite