Absolute newbie question about Scene Detection at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old May 17th, 2007, 04:55 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Absolute newbie question about Scene Detection

I am brand new to Premiere Pro and tried to import my first test footage and saw in the program and on this forum that scene detection is not possible? Is that possible? How do I import footage so that it is cut in to separate files? With another program? So far I can import but it is one big 12G mpeg file because the scene detect button is not available. Have the XH-A1 in HDV. thanks . . .

roger
Roger Beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2007, 05:36 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Roger, scene detection works by recognizing breaks in the date and time stamp embedded on the footage. If you do not have your camera's date and time stamp activated, then Premiere cannot recognize the difference between one shot and the next. I'm assuming because you have an XH-A1, you've purchased a new camera. Check to see if your date and time stamp are set.
Old May 17th, 2007, 06:32 PM   #3
Regular Crew

The date and time were set correctly but the time code is set to the actual time, 17:29:32:09, etc., I wanted to be able to identify the clips by the actual time they were shot.
Old May 18th, 2007, 03:44 AM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Beck View Post
The date and time were set correctly but the time code is set to the actual time, 17:29:32:09, etc., I wanted to be able to identify the clips by the actual time they were shot.
Why would you want to do that? Time and date get recorded anyway, so you are effectively duplicating data and getting into trouble with capturing. Next time leave the time code alone.

If you are capturing HDV, then you are out of luck, Premiere Pro does not support scene detection with HDV, only with DV.
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2007, 04:43 AM   #5
Regular Crew

get the program HDVsplit... its free... it will split the capture into small files
at different scenes...

now you have the splits....
Ray Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2007, 08:46 AM   #6
Regular Crew

thanks! Worked like a charm.
Old May 18th, 2007, 01:06 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Thanks

Nice little thread. i always wondered why scene detection didnt work for now! now i know! thanks guys! :)
Old May 21st, 2007, 02:27 AM   #8
New Boot

if you want scene detection to work get "cine form" hdv codec for premiere, open a cine form project and you ll see that scene detection chk box is not greyed out
Boris Mandich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2007, 06:14 AM   #9
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Bell View Post
get the program HDVsplit... its free... it will split the capture into small files
at different scenes...

now you have the splits....
tryed it, works great, thnx!
Boris Mandich is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite