DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   Quicktime Animation Preset ? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/94590-quicktime-animation-preset.html)

Michael Claerbout May 21st, 2007 01:14 PM

Quicktime Animation Preset ?

Hi guys,

I just finished shooting my project and because i shot it on betacam SP,
i wanted to edit it in the quicktime Animation codec. But the problem is just like before i cant set up my preset in premiere pro 2.0 to Animation. Can someone please tell me how to do this. If i look at the export option, you can choose alot of different codecs. But in the costum preset menu i cant find those codecs!

Thanks in advance

Best wishes

Michaël

Michael Claerbout May 22nd, 2007 12:26 PM

Nobody ? Need help!

Ervin Farkas May 22nd, 2007 02:51 PM

PremPro will not edit QT natively, it will convert it to DV/AVI automatically at the time of import. After you do your editing, then yes, you can export as QT.

Michael Claerbout May 22nd, 2007 03:39 PM

Hi Ervin,

But that would mean i would lose color quality!

Ervin Farkas May 23rd, 2007 07:53 AM

Probably so - I am not familiar wity any QT formats. I guess you only have two alternatives: edit the QT file using the appropriate editor (Final Cut?) or recapture the footage using a PremPro-friendly codec.

Andrew J Morin May 23rd, 2007 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Claerbout (Post 684046)
Hi Ervin,

But that would mean i would lose color quality!

Really? I've convinced myself that this doesn't happen. Right or Wrong I'm not qualified to judge; if I'm wrong, I'd like to know.

I've captured miniDV footage using Premiere, then used QTpro to break-out short scenes from hour-long sessions, and then imported the smaller files as clips in my Premiere project. In the beginning, I tested this method to see if using QTpro as a middle-man had negative effects on my ability to pull chroma-keys. It had none, to my eye anyway.

My understanding is that the .mov format is just an .avi with special QT header data. QTpro does say it is 'flattening' the data when saving as .mov, but the file-size does not change significantly when it does that.

Michael Claerbout May 24th, 2007 03:23 AM

Thanks for the info,
But im not any of the wizer on how to resolve my problem.

Greg Boston May 24th, 2007 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Claerbout (Post 685300)
Thanks for the info,
But im not any of the wizer on how to resolve my problem.

AVI and Quicktime are container formats. Each can have a myriad of codecs contained within them. You will not necessarily lose color fidelity when going from QT to DV/AVI. If you specify the destination AVI to use a high quality codec, it should be fine.

-gb-

Michael Claerbout May 25th, 2007 05:33 AM

Thanks Greg !