doing something else while capturing at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old June 1st, 2007, 02:31 PM   #1
Major Player

doing something else while capturing

While Im capturing from camera I can't do anything else, is it same with you guys? Friend of mine can leave capturing on background and do everything else, I can't. Am I missing any settings or wheres the problem?

thanks!
Andzei Matsukevits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2007, 03:38 PM   #2
Regular Crew

What are your computer specs?

If you dont have a dual core prossesoer you won't be able to do anything else while you are capturing your footage.
Old June 1st, 2007, 04:43 PM   #3
Major Player

I typically use that time to catch up on my reading, to make/receive phone calls, and to do other things that I tend to forget to do when my computer addiction gets in the way. :)
Old June 1st, 2007, 11:00 PM   #4
Major Player

yeah, i dont have duel core, probably thats why...

just 3ghz, 2gb ram
Andzei Matsukevits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2007, 05:34 AM   #5
Major Player

That's why we don't dump our old machines. Outgrown processors are fine for surfing and stills. 3 generations back there's a very nice telephone answerer.

I don't think I'll ever be persuaded to multi-task on a PC that's capturing or transcoding. (Well, I suppose I shouldn't say ever.)
Brad Tyrrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2007, 06:37 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andzei Matsukevits View Post
yeah, i dont have duel core, probably thats why... just 3ghz, 2gb ram
Andzei, your computer is fine! I have an even slower/older PC, a 1.6 GHz AMD with 2 GB of RAM and I can use it for capturing and doing other stuff at the same time. CPU usage for capturing only on this old machine is around 25%. The trick is to use another software, not PremPro - because PremPro will stop capturing if you click on anything else. So I use HDV Slit to capture high definition, or Windows Movie Maker to capture standard definition. The only time I am capturing directly into Premiere is when I need scene detection on SD footage.

Last edited by Ervin Farkas; June 4th, 2007 at 07:48 AM.
Ervin Farkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2007, 07:14 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervin Farkas View Post
or Windows Movie Maker to capture standard definition. The only time I am capturing directly into Premiere is when I need scene detection on SD footage.

Does windows movie maker capture just as well as premiere, from your experience?
David J. Payne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2007, 07:46 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Yes, it does - at least this is my experience, I have not encountered any problems.

For standard definition there are also some other pieces of software for capturing, VirtualDub (I have not tried it myself for capturing) and DVIO (which I have tried and found to be working). DVIO can also be used for transferring footage back to your DV camcorder. Both of these are freeware and you can find them using Google.
Old June 4th, 2007, 08:54 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andzei Matsukevits View Post
yeah, i dont have duel core, probably thats why...

just 3ghz, 2gb ram
This setup should be fine. As someone else mentioned, I would use HDV Split to capture HDV footage and Windows Movie Maker for SD.
Old June 4th, 2007, 08:54 AM   #10
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervin Farkas View Post
Andzei, your computer is fine! I have an even slower/older PC, a 1.6 GHz AMD with 2 GB of RAM and I can use it for capturing and doing other stuff at the same time. CPU usage for capturing only on this old machine is around 25%. The trick is to use another software, not PremPro - because PremPro will stop capturing if you click on anything else. So I use HDV Slit to capture high definition, or Windows Movie Maker to capture standard definition. The only time I am capturing directly into Premiere is when I need scene detection on SD footage.
It surprises me that you can capture HDV on that system, which is below minimum requirements as stated by Adobe, and still manage to multi-task.
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2007, 10:47 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harm Millaard View Post
It surprises me that you can capture HDV on that system, which is below minimum requirements as stated by Adobe, and still manage to multi-task.
The answer is in your own words: "as stated by Adobe". I cannot capture HDV on that machine using Premiere Pro, because the software by itself eats up most of the computer resources - it would capture a few frames, than it would give up reporting dropped frames. As mentioned in my post, I am using DHV Split for capturing.

And contrary to everything I read on the internet (including this very forum), I can even edit HDV on that old machine... I do my work before going to sleep and let it render while I rest... so by the time I get up, it's all done. Sure, this won't work for a pro videographer, but for someone doing it as a hobby or side job as I do it, it's feasible.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite