DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   Encore Transcode Faster PPro DVD Render (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/96223-encore-transcode-faster-ppro-dvd-render.html)

Trenton Scott June 10th, 2007 06:34 AM

Encore Transcode Faster PPro DVD Render

Using the same machine, it took 54 hours for PPro to render 77 minutes of content (24p, 720x480) in MPEG2 DVD format. However, it only takes 6 hours to export the same content to disk in uncompressed AVI format. Here's the really amazing thing, after importing that AVI file into Encore, it immediately transcodes all of it in just over an hour at VBR/7Mb/2Pass!

Why does it take PPro 54 hours to render in high-quality DVD form, but only 6 hours in AVI? Moreover, why does Encore only require an hour to render the same content?

I realize the AVI format I used is uncompressed (disk intensive, not CPU intensive), which explains the speed-up, but why is PPro taking 54 hours versus Encore's 1 hour to transcode the same content to DVD format?

It's like the two products were written on different planets or something!

Paolo Brambilla June 12th, 2007 01:22 AM

Maybe the denoiser filter was checked in Premiere Pro Media Encoder?

Ivan Barbarich June 12th, 2007 03:04 AM

Hi,

Just as a comparison, I encoded a 45 min project, which took about 3.5 hours in PP2 (16x9 High quality 7mb CBR 1 pass..Quality 5). It was a HDV file imported into DV project and resized. It may be possible that 2 passes will double the time (Not 100% sure..But I think it will definatly increase the time)

Steven Gotz June 12th, 2007 03:48 PM

Quality 5 is way overkill with the Mainconcept codec unless you have some very high speed motion.

Trenton Scott June 13th, 2007 09:56 AM

Just for the record, here's what I found; this is for others reading this under similar circumstances (exporting 70+ minutes of edited widescreen 24P content):

1. Saving as uncompressed AVI in PPro was the quickest way out for me, but this creates a really huge (5 times larger than original source video) file, so you need lots of free space. This approach is fast (disk intensive, not CPU) because it does not compress anything; it exported 77 minutes in just over 6 hours. The image/sound quality was excellent.

2. Saving as DV-AVI in PPro was the next best approach, which I think I will use going forward in most situations. It took 11 hours to save the same content, and the file/space requirements are much, much smaller. The 5-hour increase is due to the CPU compression work, and the fact that PPro does not take advantage of my multi-CPU hardware; the upcoming CS3 release will detect and schedule more compression work on both CPUs, however, so I'm hoping to see at least a 20% increase in performance. That time savings will pay for the upgrade quickly! I saw no drop in image/sound quality compared to the uncompressed AVI file.

3. Bringing either AVI file into Encore DVD was a breeze, and Encore did a great job transcoding (VBR, 2 pass, 7mb) both files in about 5 hours in the background, as I continued working on the DVD menu and slideshows. The final product looks and sounds fabulous, and everything fits (barely) on a standard 4.7GB DVD.

Marco Wagner June 14th, 2007 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trenton Scott (Post 696228)
the fact that PPro does not take advantage of my multi-CPU hardware; the upcoming CS3 release will detect and schedule more compression work on both CPUs, however, so I'm hoping to see at least a 20% increase in performance.

What? It takes full advantage of my core duo rig 80% -100% CPU load...54 hours is not something I would even have the patience to attempt. I've encoded a lot longer projects in a LOT less time than you are quoting...How old is your system? I mean dang! Are you not importing native footage or using a project different than the footage specs? For projects in my system that are feature length, we're talking a couple hours max, for the render AND encode...

Update:
NM - I just saw your other post.