DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   .m2t & .mpeg (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/98412-m2t-mpeg.html)

Kevin Amundson July 7th, 2007 03:09 PM

.m2t & .mpeg

I was just wondering if anyone know's why Premiere Pro 2.0 can play .m2t clips (captured with HDVSplit) in realtime, but the .mpeg clips that I captured with Premiere Pro 2.0 have to be rendered first.

Aren't .m2t & .mpeg the same thing?

Graham Hickling July 7th, 2007 04:42 PM

mt2 is an mpeg2 transport stream, which is a subset of mpeg. Mpeg files can be program streams, transport streams, or separate audio and video streams. (The first two differ in the error correction used; mt2 is designed for low-error tranfer between devices)

I realize that doesn't answer your primary question though ...

Ivan Barbarich July 7th, 2007 09:15 PM

Hi Kevin,
Not sure whats going on with the rendering, but when I export HDV via premiere .m2t files, I rename them .mpeg and nothing much changes for me ( I rename them so I can play them in windows media player..from memory some players etc dont like the .m2t extension)..the .mpegs dont have to be rendered, they play realtime.

When premiere captures HDV you end up with an .mpeg..so I cant see why it wouldnt play in realtime. When you re-export the same file (say edited) you have to export an .m2t. (thats when I rename the extension)

Heres my videos...

http://www.esnips.com/web/Premiere-Pro-2-Video-Tutes

Bob Buchanan July 9th, 2007 07:10 PM

If you actually open up the .mpeg that Adobe captures into a binary editor, you'll see it's just the real transport stream right off the tape (188-byte blocks). There is no conversion or unwrapping. So it's the same thing as loading in a .m2t file. In fact, I have no problem previewing either in realtime on the timeline. Are you sure your machine is fast enough? Needs lots of horsepower. My old 3Ghz P4 just wasn't enough.

Kevin Amundson July 10th, 2007 06:06 PM

I have a Intel Dual Core 3.2GHz, 4GB RAM, and 150GB(10,000 rpm) OS drive, 300GB scratch drive, and 700GB(4 drives in RAID 5) Media drive. I meet all minimum specs for Premiere.

Also is there a way to view the .m2t or mpeg files in Windows Media Player in 16x9 aspect ratio instead of 4x3?

Bob Buchanan July 10th, 2007 07:32 PM

Well, I think we just found your problem. The .mpeg files that Adobe captures should just load up and play at 16x9 in Media Player. Since it's not, that suggests that a rogue program has taken over as your MPEG decoder. I had that happen once when I installed one of the newer versions of Roxio SleasyCD (woops, I mean EasyCD).

I would sugest uninstalling anything that might have an mpeg decoder in it (Nero, Roxio, etc). When your system is back to normal, I think both of your problems will go away. Something is very not normal with your MPEG chain.

Kevin Amundson July 10th, 2007 08:06 PM

Would ffdshow have caused a problem?

The only programs I have installed on my video editing computer is Adobe Production Studio and HDVSPlit w/ffdshow.

Kevin Amundson July 10th, 2007 08:14 PM

I think I might be onto somthing. When I installed HDVSplit and ffdshow it told me to change some of the configuration settings. One of these settings was the MPEG2 Codec. They told me to change the decoder to "libavcodec". I just went and changed it back to the default decoder, and VIOLA! My .m2t and mpeg files play fine in Windows Media Player.

Now I'll go open Premiere and see if anything has changed.

Kevin Amundson July 10th, 2007 08:25 PM

Well all it fixed was the Windows Media Player problem. My .mpeg files still have the red line above them even in a new project.

But this is enough head banging for tonight, I do have to go to work tomorrow. ;)

Ivan Barbarich July 11th, 2007 03:21 AM

Hi Kevin,
Just a suggestion..now that you fixed it somewhat...try capturing footage again..an see if that plays correctly.

Kevin Amundson July 11th, 2007 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ivan Barbarich (Post 710240)
Hi Kevin,
Just a suggestion..now that you fixed it somewhat...try capturing footage again..an see if that plays correctly.

Thank's I'll give this a try.