DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Adobe Creative Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/)
-   -   Stereo to mono? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/adobe-creative-suite/98677-stereo-mono.html)

Richard Grebby July 11th, 2007 07:48 AM

Stereo to mono?

How can I convert a stereo track to mono.

Thanks

Harm Millaard July 12th, 2007 03:29 AM

Fill left or fill right.

Richard Grebby July 13th, 2007 05:16 AM

I was hoping to get it to fill the left and right channels evenly

Bart Walczak July 13th, 2007 06:09 AM

Before you insert your video clip to the timeline, select it in the project browser and go to clip->audio->source channel mapping. You can then patch the sound from single stereo track to dual mono.

Richard Grebby July 14th, 2007 01:22 PM

Thanks, what about after its on the timeline?

Steven Gotz July 14th, 2007 01:56 PM

Make a copy of the audio Fill Left on one and Fill Right on the other. You effectively have two mono sounding tracks that way.

Theodore McNeil July 22nd, 2007 11:24 AM

Wow, advance search and ye shall find. I was just about to post this very same question.

Thanks Steven and Bart.

Hernan Vilchez July 22nd, 2007 01:24 PM

Sorry but i cant find "fill left or right" in Premiere Pro 2 .... in which menu is it?

Thanks

Brad Tyrrell July 22nd, 2007 01:31 PM

audio effects

Hernan Vilchez July 22nd, 2007 01:48 PM

Please help, i cant get it

My problem: im trying to extract from the stereo avi, the left channel (the voice of the singer recorded with a lavalier). the right channel (ch2) was recorded with a shotgun.

Both channels sound perfect (the voice really separated from the band, a live performance in africa), but of course i have the voice totally on the left of the stereo spectrum.

I thought that extracting a mono from the voice was the obvious way to go. But Ive tried this solution (and many others in soundforge, cubase) with always the exact result: I get a mono track (or stereo with the "fill") that sounds like if the frequencies are inversed or watever, it is opaque and low. But if i pan this new mono (or stereo) totally to the left or right, the sound comes good again, like the original version (but this i can also pan to the right). So, if i leave it in the center, it sounds bad.

Ive tried also with commercial recordings to check, and i get the same dissapointing results. Am i missing something? Thanks!

Theodore McNeil July 22nd, 2007 02:28 PM

Wow, advance search and ye shall find. I was just about to post this very same question.

Thanks Steven and Bart.

Brad Tyrrell July 22nd, 2007 02:34 PM

Not quite sure what you're doing.

I use the method Steven suggested all the time. My XL-1 recorded 4 channels of sound (2 stereo channels) and I got used to having a camera backup audio track just in case.

Now with the XH-A1 which only records a single stereo track, I put a camera mounted mic in XLR 1 and my remote mic in XLR 2. When I import the m2t into Premiere, I duplicate the sound track and fill one left and one right. I can then mix, cover, or discard as needed. The output contains a single stereo track although actually dual mono.

Or... are you trying to re-create an actual stereo track?

Ben Winter July 22nd, 2007 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hernan Vilchez (Post 716743)
My problem: im trying to extract from the stereo avi, the left channel (the voice of the singer recorded with a lavalier). the right channel (ch2) was recorded with a shotgun.

Both channels sound perfect (the voice really separated from the band, a live performance in africa), but of course i have the voice totally on the left of the stereo spectrum.

I thought that extracting a mono from the voice was the obvious way to go. But Ive tried this solution (and many others in soundforge, cubase) with always the exact result: I get a mono track (or stereo with the "fill") that sounds like if the frequencies are inversed or watever, it is opaque and low. But if i pan this new mono (or stereo) totally to the left or right, the sound comes good again, like the original version (but this i can also pan to the right). So, if i leave it in the center, it sounds bad.

Ive tried also with commercial recordings to check, and i get the same dissapointing results. Am i missing something? Thanks!

An example .mp3 would be helpful. Sounds like you need to invert the phase of one of your tracks. Makes sense if your shotgun is recording off the performance speakers (phase inverted twice; one for the speakers and one for the mic) and the lav is directly on her (phase only inverted once with the mic) thus cancelling out some frequencies.

I'm not sure if Ppro has this functionality.

Hernan Vilchez July 23rd, 2007 05:21 PM

No speakers. Live unplugged african recording.

Matt Buys July 23rd, 2007 06:30 PM

I was just about to delete tracks that were in a long doc I'm finishing up (bad cable for the shotgun mic) and regretting that I would have to use the audio source mapping long route when I read this about fill left and right. This thread just saved me hours. Thank you.