Premiere multicam at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old July 16th, 2007, 05:35 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Premiere multicam

Hello all,
Does anyone know how to create dissolves in a multicam edit while switching. Ive been looking everywhere on the net including here for a simple straight foward tutorial on Multicam editing in PP2!
If anyone can help a desperated person out Ill be forever grateful.

cheers
Blake Raidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2007, 06:02 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Blake ...

I've just done a multicam edit in PremPro CS3 and I also wanted some of the cuts to be dissolves, so I had to go back and apply them individually. I don't think its possible to have transitions applied to multicam cuts by default - in any case, you'd probably have to go back and tweak the transition timing manually anyway.

Perhaps there is a way to apply transistions in bulk to a number of selected clips - I'll give it a try tonight - unless a Premiere Pro guru out there already knows the solution !

Tony
Tony Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2007, 07:12 AM   #3
Major Player

You can't apply transitions to multiple clips. I advise using page up/down (moves to the next edit point) and ctrl+D to apply a default transition - which you can set in edit>preferences>general>video transition duration and in effect tab (set as default transition). This way it will be a blast.
Bart Walczak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2007, 08:17 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks Bart - I'll try it tonight.

Tony
Tony Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2007, 01:39 PM   #5
Regular Crew

There is a company called United Media offering a plug-in that allows realtime multi-cam editing and syncing for up to four cameras. I believe it used to cost around $500 but now they're selling it for $99 and probably even less at a reseller! Damn, I think I'm going to buy it now!
James Emory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2007, 02:56 PM   #6
Inner Circle

United is a plugin for old versions of Premiere Pro. I checked the features, there is nothing in United the built-in multicam edit in PremPro 2.0 can't do - and that's more than likely the reason they dropped the price.
Old July 16th, 2007, 03:21 PM   #7
Major Player

Multi Cam

For multi-cam using dissolves I prefer using Vegas + Excalibur which is really nice. You can specify for each transition whether you want it to start at the beginning, end or middle of the cut point.

That said I'm going to be working on cuts only project shortly and I plan on using Premiere. The multi-cam in premiere gives you immediate cuts feedback to your monitor where in Vegas you only get a border box around one of your 4 squared video clips until you run the actual multi-cam script. Add to that the great titler in Premiere and I think I'm crossing over to the other side...

Marc

Last edited by Marc Salvatore; July 16th, 2007 at 03:55 PM.
Marc Salvatore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2007, 04:12 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Well, I didn't know Premiere now offers multi-cam type editing. That is interesting and yes, it would explain the dramatic drop in price of United's product. I'm still cutting with 6.5 which is still fine for my needs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Salvatore View Post
... You can specify for each transition whether you want it to start at the beginning, end or middle of the cut point. ...
You can also do that with Premiere.
James Emory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2007, 09:24 AM   #9
Regular Crew

WOW what a strong tool!!! I’ve been pumping through a 3 hour, 3 camera stage performance using the multicam built in to pp2.
We have proberly saved a week’s worth of edit time by editing in real time. Plus roll edit is my new best friend. It works just the way you would want and expect it to......... aaaa I love it. Cheers Bart-man for the quick tips on transitions.
Blake Raidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2007, 03:34 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Salvatore View Post
For multi-cam using dissolves I prefer using Vegas + Excalibur which is really nice. You can specify for each transition whether you want it to start at the beginning, end or middle of the cut point... Marc
You can do the exact same in PremPro 2.0 - just drag and drop the transition onto the timeline. If you release the mouse button exactly at the cut point, the dissolve will be at the middle, if you release it on the first clip (but close to the cut point), it'll be at the beginning, and so forth.
Old July 27th, 2007, 12:48 AM   #11
Major Player

I have been using pp2 since it came out in the software only version and the multi cam feature is super, BUT, theres always a BUT, I just bought a new Matrox PP2 editing suite and the multi cam edit on it is soo bad I think I am going to have to do them all in my old system, the response time is pathetic.

It cuts out rendering etc and is faster at almost everything else but I do a lot of multi cam work so this out dos all the speed when I loss far to much time on this new system, has anyone else find the matrox rt 200 a problem for this?
Paul Gallagher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2007, 05:52 AM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake Raidal View Post
WOW what a strong tool!!! I’ve been pumping through a 3 hour, 3 camera stage performance using the multicam built in to pp2.
We have proberly saved a week’s worth of edit time by editing in real time. Plus roll edit is my new best friend. It works just the way you would want and expect it to......... aaaa I love it. Cheers Bart-man for the quick tips on transitions.
You're welcome. I love Premiere's interactivity and the fact that you can do so much using keyboard only.
Bart Walczak is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite