KiPro and Panasonic LH-80 monitor at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > AJA Io and Ki Pro

AJA Io and Ki Pro
...plus others from the AJA product line.

Old September 15th, 2009, 12:58 PM   #1
Regular Crew

KiPro and Panasonic LH-80 monitor

As I understand it's possible to use a monitor (such as the Panasonic LH-80) during recording to the KiPro? If so is it also possible to utilize the KiPro as a "monitor hub" using a Canon 5D Mark II? The reason I ask is that I already own the Panasonic LH-80, but it lacks SDI and HDMI input. In other words the monitor is not useful for DSLR recording. To upgrade the Panasonic LH-80 to a more flexible monitor I need to buy the optional SDI card AND a Blackmagic Design mini-converter (HDMI to SDI), which will cost more than $ 1000.

I'm using a Sony EX-3 as my main camera. When shooting with this camera component out works like a charm using the Panasonic LH-80. My Canon 5D Mark II is only meant for occational B-rolls, but I would prefer to utilize a monitor while recording (due to focus issues).

To buy a new monitor is an option. Marshall has a few interesting models (I just came back from IBC in Amsterdam where I attended a demonstration of the Canon 5D Mark II and Marshall LCD651/LCD70 models. Very nice!), but I rather spend my money getting a KiPro than buying another monitor or upgrading my Panasonic LH-80.

I've checked on the Aja web page for info on this topic, but I can't find what I'm looking for. I need more info on how to use the KiPro as a part of the configuration described above. Anyone?

Thanks for your help.

Kind regards,
Terje Rian
Old September 15th, 2009, 02:23 PM   #2
AJA

Re: KiPro and Panasonic LH-80 monitor

Terje R. - You can use the Ki Pro to input one type of video signal - like HDMI, SDI or component - and then output video on all of the different outputs of the Ki Pro simultaneously. So yes, if you input a valid HDMI signal to Ki Pro, you could output a component video signal from Ki Pro, essentially using Ki Pro as a converter.

The one thing to note is that the output from your Canon EOS 5D Mark II's HDMI during "Live View" will not be full scale in terms of the picture that is represented (this is just how Live View works). But you will get a 1080i 29.97 HDMI output from the Canon 5D Mark II that you can feed to the Ki Pro's HDMI input and then the Ki Pro will output component video to your Panasonic BT-LH80 monitor.

In fact, this set up is not entirely dissimilar to how I did my testing with the Canon EOS 5D Mark II; HDMI input to the Ki Pro, component output to a Sony PVM-14L5 monitor.

Hope this information helps answer your question. And the Ki Pro would work great with your Sony PMW-EX3 too.

Regards,
Jon Thorn
Product Manager
AJA Video Systems, Inc.
California
Jon Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2009, 03:46 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Hello Jon,

Thank you for your quick reply. You confirm my assumptions. I'm aware of the Live View limitations, but as long as I'm able to use KiPro as a monitor converter during DSLR shooting
I'm happy. Now I just need to find a way to power both the KiPro, the Panasonic LH-80 and my Zylight Z-90 on-camera light during shooting.

By the way, did you find the aformentioned workflow ok during your testing of the Canon 5D Mark II?

Thank you for your help.

Kind regards,
Terje Rian
Old September 16th, 2009, 03:33 AM   #4
AJA

Re: KiPro and Panasonic LH-80 monitor

Terje R. - Using the HDMI output of the Canon EOS 5D Mark II to the Ki Pro and then monitoring with the component output worked great in my own testing. Since you are aware of the Live View limitation and only want to use the Ki Pro for conversion, this should work fine for you.

Regards,
Jon Thorn
Product Manager
AJA Video Systems, Inc.
California
Jon Thorn is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > AJA Io and Ki Pro