compared to the NanoFlash? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > AJA Io and Ki Pro
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

AJA Io and Ki Pro
...plus others from the AJA product line.

Old November 22nd, 2009, 10:49 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Jon,

I'm prepping for a feature shoot this summer as part of a class I teach at university. Couple of questions...

1) Have you seen any examples of the ProRes HQ that has gone all the way to 35mm film-out?

2) Do you offer education discounts? :)

Micheal
Micheal McAlexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2009, 12:12 PM   #17
Inner Circle

1. No country for Old Men.
Old November 22nd, 2009, 12:31 PM   #18
Regular Crew

NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN was actually captured on 35mm. It may have been editing in ProRes, but then they created an EDL and then the 35mm film was scanned and conformed based on the EDL.

What I'm trying to figure out is if anyone has captured on the Ki Pro (say ProRes HQ) and then do a film-out after editing.
Old November 22nd, 2009, 05:03 PM   #19
Inner Circle

It's been available what... a couple of weeks? How would anyone have had the chance to shoot, and then do a film out at this point?
Old November 22nd, 2009, 05:34 PM   #20
Regular Crew

I thought the Ki Pro has been out longer than that or maybe Aja did tests.
Old November 22nd, 2009, 06:10 PM   #21
Inner Circle

Well according to posts in this forum, DVInfo members began receiving shipments in early October. So maybe 6 weeks ago. Potentially, some resellers got them several weeks before that. But in any event, it's would be pretty ambitious to see anyone using these on 35mm film-out this soon. Maybe in the spring.
Old November 23rd, 2009, 03:30 PM   #22
AJA

Michael M. - I know that one feature film that was acquired via the AJA Io HD connected to a Panavised Sony F900 and recorded in Apple ProRes 422 (HQ) is in the process of planning their filmout. I also know that Bob Primes, ASC ran a short test that I helped with that involved filmout of Apple ProRes 422 (HQ) and he was very pleased. I know that a few features are being recorded on Ki Pro now at Apple ProRes 422 (HQ) via Ki Pro but I cannot say whether or not they are planning for a filmout.

I can't offer you advice on academic pricing as I'm not in sales. You could inquire with AJA at sales@aja.com, but I do not believe there is any specific academic pricing provided by our authorized resellers.

Hope this is helpful,
Jon Thorn
Product Manager
AJA Video Systems, Inc.
California
Jon Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2009, 03:57 PM   #23
Regular Crew

Hey Jon,

That's awesome. I'm not shooting until summer so maybe we'll have some more reports on the KiPro by then.

Cheers,

Micheal
Old November 25th, 2009, 09:02 AM   #24
Regular Crew

Jon,

1) When taking the Ki Pro mobile, I'm assuming it can be powered off my Swit batts using a DTAP to 4-pin XLR.. right?

2) Confirming something - you are currently only recommending the Delkin Expresscard/34 at the moment - yes? Can we use the 32GB version?

3) Is it possible to use the Delkin Expresscard/34 CF adapter? So for example, two CF adapters in the Ki Pro with multiple CF cards?

Micheal

BTW... there's a typo in your Ki Pro brochure :)

Ki Pro and Final Cut Studio
From acquisition to delivery, use the codec at the core of Apple’s Final Cut
Studio suite of applications. Ki Pro supports an Apple file-based workflow by
recording standard Apple ProRes 422 QuickTime files on industry standard
media. Record to removable 34mm ExpressCards, or a removable HDD
Storage Module containing a hard disk drive (standard) or an optional SSD
Storage Module with a solid state disk. When removed, the Storage Module
functions as a standard bus-powered FireWire 800 drive. If bus power is not
avaialble, <------ the Storage Module has a standard DC power connector for a usersupplied
AC power adapter.

Last edited by Micheal McAlexander; November 25th, 2009 at 10:32 AM.
Old November 25th, 2009, 11:29 AM   #25
AJA

Michael M. -
1) A Swit battery with an adapter to XLR should work.
2) The ExpressCard34 slots are not yet enabled with the current firmware. This will be enabled with a future firmware update. Once enabled, we will qualify which media can be used in the slots. No ExpressCard adapters can be used in the Ki Pro as they will not provide sufficient bandwidth for recordings at 145Mbps or 220Mbps.

Not sure how we missed the typo in the brochure, but I'll bring this to the attention of the right person at AJA.

Thanks,
Jon Thorn
Product Manager
AJA Video Systems, Inc.
California
Jon Thorn is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > AJA Io and Ki Pro