Update: AJA Ki Pro is shipping... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > AJA Io and Ki Pro

AJA Io and Ki Pro
...plus others from the AJA product line.

Old September 21st, 2009, 12:18 PM   #1
Major Player

Update: AJA Ki Pro is shipping...

Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places but has anyone actually received their Ki Pro and started shooting with it? I see that it started shipping more than a week ago. I expected to see a flood of people posting about it but it's been pretty quiet here.

Do you have a picture of your rig outfitted with the Ki Pro? Sample footage? Thoughts in general?

If so, please post them.
Aaron Newsome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2009, 09:44 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I was told by Markertek that the back log of orders is huge and they will be in stock in JANUARY.
Tom Daigon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2009, 11:11 AM   #3
Major Player

Not sure if you've checked the following thread:

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/aja-io-k...ml#post1310975

... but Gary from Video Guys says that they may have some available sooner than that.
Old October 5th, 2009, 10:00 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Daigon View Post
I was told by Markertek that the back log of orders is huge and they will be in stock in JANUARY.
january? this doesn't make sense. i read here on this forum that aja had started making shipments to dealers weeks ago. dealers should have started filling backorders at least a week ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Brown View Post
Not sure if you've checked the following thread:

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/aja-io-k...ml#post1310975

... but Gary from Video Guys says that they may have some available sooner than that.
Yes Tim, I followed that thread. The last post in it is more than a month old!

I guess that answers my question, no one has actually received an AJA Ki Pro.
Old October 5th, 2009, 08:33 PM   #5
Major Player

Hi Aaron I had an ordered the KiPro back in June and had to cancel the order August because AJA could not deliver. I would also love to see one.

Question : Was the delayed of the KiPro due to announcement of Apple’s release of Snow Leopard?
Lance Librandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2009, 12:36 AM   #6
AJA

Ki Pro is shipping

Aaron N. - I'm sorry, but this is an inaccurate statement for you to make: "I guess that answers my question, no one has actually received an AJA Ki Pro." In fact there are posts by end users of Ki Pro on other forums on the internet, but I'm not going to refer you to those out of respect for the forum here on dvinfo.net. For the benefit of everyone who is posting on this thread implying that there aren't any Ki Pros to be had anywhere, here is an outline regarding how AJA fulfillment works. AJA does not do direct sales; we use a reseller channel to provide our products to the public. So, when AJA begins accepting orders for products, those orders are made by our resellers around the world, not by the end customers. We fulfill these product orders by our resellers in the order they were received. This means that if one reseller orders units immediately, then they should get their units in a fairly timely fashion compared to another reseller who may order their units at a later date. Sometimes there are extenuating circumstances before shipment can be made to specific regions, such as the clearance of region specific certifications. Because AJA seeks to comply with all regulatory items on a per region basis to the best of our ability, there are many notations on the product such as CE, RoHs, UL, etc. You should also take into consideration that we test each individual product before shipping - not just Ki Pro, but all AJA products go through this process. AJA does this in order to keep the number of "dead on arrival" units as low as we possibly can. We want people to receive properly working products and when they do, on very rare occasions, arrive and do not work properly, we make our very best effort to replace them in quick fashion.

But, to the point, the product is shipping, but considering all of the factors I've noted, coupled with the popularity of the product, not everyone has Ki Pro units available to sell at this time. And yes, AJA is working hard to fill the back order for the product, but some resellers may very well not receive units until January. You can contact resellers in your region or AJA directly to inquire when a unit might be available in your area.

Lance L. - You asked, "Was the delay of the Ki Pro due to the announcement of Apple’s release of Snow Leopard?" No, not directly or any more than any other factor. Let me put the delay in perspective; Ki Pro is an extremely complex product, with many components and, as such, it also had a very elaborate QA testing process. Each input and output had to be tested with a variety of sources and since Ki Pro has HDMI, SDI and component analog connectivity, this is a pretty extensive set of tests. Each one of these inputs and outputs also had to be tested for upconversion, downconversion and crossconversion for both 50Hz and 60Hz. We also had to test for timecode accuracy via embedded SDI and via the LTC input. We had to test for compatibility with Final Cut Pro 6 and Final Cut Pro 7, and yes, test under both Mac OS X Leopard and Mac OS X Snow Leopard. And these are just a small sampling of some of the tests that the product had to undergo. Unfortunately, all manufacturers, not just AJA, sometimes feel that products and their testing will be completed by a certain date and then those dates sometimes slip. We sincerely wish this was not the case, but the reality is that it does sometimes happen. When it does happen, manufacturers typically have your best interests at heart.

You may have noticed that I have not been posting much lately; I am taking my first real "vacation" in literally years... as well as getting married during this brief time off.

Hope the information I've provided regarding the shipping status of Ki Pro is helpful and clarifies the questions you have posed.

Regards,
Jon Thorn
Product Manager
AJA Video Systems, Inc.
California
Jon Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2009, 09:28 AM   #7
Major Player

Jon, I wasn't aware of a more authoritative forum for AJA Ki Pro users. I get a lot of information on products, directly from end users on internet forums. I value this input a great deal, especially when I'm about to drop $4k on a product (that is, if I can find one).

As you probably know from my previous posts, I also own a Convergent Designs XDR but I'm planning to pick up a Ki Pro as well. These forums are excellent for the XDR, since all the users post their issues here. Might have something to do with CD linking to this forum directly from their site.

Thanks for your input.
Old October 6th, 2009, 10:05 AM   #8
Obstreperous Rex

Thanks Jon,

DV Info Net is at the very top of Google page one returns when searching for AJA Ki Pro + forum:

http://www.google.com/#q=aja%20%22ki...15299a959dbb33

Much as we have done for other professional video hardware and software systems, our goal is for DV Info Net to become the single best forum on the Internet for all online discussions involving the Ki Pro and other AJA products. Please let me know what else we can do to make that happen.

Congratulations on your newly married status! Best regards,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2009, 04:19 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Mine shipped today

Got the notice just now. Ki Pro, Exoskeleton and rod endplates all shipping. Actually, Exo and plates were available to ship 2 weeks ago, they emailed me to ask if I wanted partial ship and I said no, I'll wait. Won't say who from as I did not use a DVInfo sponsor. I usually do, just didn't work out this time. Oh, and of course I'm leaving for 10 day vacation to NY on Friday. So cruel!
Old October 7th, 2009, 07:09 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Yup, I spoke to Markertek today and they said they had 1 in stock available for purchase . I just couldnt rationalize spending $4,000 today. Maybe tomorrow ;-)
Tom Daigon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2009, 10:38 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Ki Pro has arrived!

Hello, I received my KIPRO last week. I have only performed minimal tests using my EX3/Letus Elite. After comparing the SxS footage to the ProResHQ I found that there appeared to be more information in the KIPRO footage on the waveform monitor (in FCP 6). To the naked eye the footage looks identical (on my Apple 30" Cinema Display/MacPro tower 2x3 Ghz Quad-core Intel/NVIDIA Geforce 8800 GT/12gigsRam). I am kind of a newbie so any ideas for testing the footage would be greatly appreciated.

This is my first post and I am glad to be a member of DVinfo!

Thank you, Daniel
Daniel Doherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2009, 10:41 AM   #12
Obstreperous Rex

Great! Looking forward to more. Thanks a bunch, Daniel, and welcome aboard!

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2009, 02:03 PM   #13
Major Player

so is the kipro shipping?
Dave Stern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2009, 02:12 PM   #14
AJA

Ki Pro has been shipping since September

Dave S. - Ki Pro has been shipping for a while now (since the beginning of September). Note that not all of our resellers have units on hand for sale. Some resellers have simply sold out of their first allotment of units while other resellers, who did not place orders right away, are still awaiting their first shipment of the product.

AJA is working hard to build Ki Pro units to meet the demand.

Regards,
Jon Thorn
Product Manager
AJA Video Systems, Inc.
California
Jon Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2009, 02:32 PM   #15
Major Player

thanks .. any indications who has one, or when the next batch would be expected at B&H?
Dave Stern is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > AJA Io and Ki Pro