Io Express questions at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > AJA Io and Ki Pro

AJA Io and Ki Pro
...plus others from the AJA product line.

Old November 12th, 2009, 10:41 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Io Express questions

Hi!
I have some questions about the Io Express.
I am a PC user for now, so I`m interested can the Io Express record full hd 4:2:2 to format that is editable on Windows with Premiere Pro CS4. (I know that it records ProRes 422 - but it`s not editable on PC).
Also I would like to know what bitrates can it record.

The main problem for me now is that I work with Panasonic HS400N HD switcher but it`s not taking any audio signal from SDI.
So I have only video HD-SDI output that I can go to Io Express, but how can I record the audio from the audio mixer?
Can I use BlackMagic Audio to SDI converter to embedd audio signal to SDI? http://www.blackmagic-design.com/pro...iniconverters/

I am wondering about the capturing stability, because I know that Premiere is not very much of a confidence to work sure and that it will not freeze or something like that when capturing.
Can you recommend me a software for capturing that is 100% reliable to work with. (I don`t know if the Io Express is compatible with BlackMagic Media Express or Adobe OnLocation)

How fast notebook should I need to capture to. Now I have Lenovo r61.

Thanks in advance for your replies.
Patrik Vale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2009, 04:47 PM   #2
AJA Video Systems

Hi Patrick,

Here are some answers to your questions:

>>an the Io Express record full hd 4:2:2 to format that is editable on Windows with Premiere Pro CS4.

Yes, I can record in premiere pro both 8 bit and 10 bit uncompressed as well as DV and DVCProHD compressed files. These bitrates can be between 4 and 200 megabytes per second, depending on resolution, framerate, bit depth, and compression type.

>>how can I record the audio from the audio mixer?

AJA and many of our competitors have audio embedding mini-converters. I can say with confidence that the ones we make work well, but I have not used the other ones before.

>> am wondering about the capturing stability

The IoExpress can be used to capture in Premiere Pro, Sony Vegas, and AJA's own utility called Machina.

>>How fast notebook should I need to capture to

This depends on what type of capture you need to do. The most intensive capture is in Vegas using their 4:2:2 Mpeg MXF capture. It requires 4 cores and probably 4 GB of RAM. For DVCProHD capture, two fast cores (3GHz) is a minimum and 4 GB of RAM. For uncompressed capture, slower processors will work fine, but then the disk systems must be both large and fast so you need external storage for that.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > AJA Io and Ki Pro