DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   AJA Io and Ki Pro (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/aja-io-ki-pro/)
-   -   Battery Solution for AJA KiPro (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/aja-io-ki-pro/492769-battery-solution-aja-kipro.html)

Shaggy Franks March 7th, 2011 03:24 PM

Battery Solution for AJA KiPro

Since the mini is not available in the near future we are thinking about using the standard version for a steady cam shot with our Xlh1s!

So what batterie option and adapter do I have? I would prefer Anton Bauer!
Links or Model names are highly welcomed.

Thanks!

Don Greening March 7th, 2011 06:21 PM

Re: Battery Solution for AJA KiPro

2 Attachment(s)
This is what I'm using:

Anton Bauer Dionic 90 along with their Tandem 70 charger #8475-0067 and their Panasonic QRC Gold Mount. The Panasonic mount was deemed the easiest to line up with the holes of the Ki Pro Mini side plate. Of course you don't need the inline charger to be mounted but I like the idea of the house power connection right there if you need it.

- Don

Jon Thorn March 7th, 2011 08:41 PM

Shaggy F. - Since you specifically asked about power options for the Canon XL-H1s camera, I will tailor my reply to specifically address one possible solution for powering the camera and the Ki Pro.

Anton Bauer has an adapter specifically for the Canon XL-H1 series of cameras:
Anton/Bauer - Products - QR XLH

One possible Anton Bauer Battery choice:
Anton/Bauer - Products - Dionic 90

An example of an Anton Bauer P-tap to 4-pin XLR adapter (which can be found from a variety of vendors, but we recommend a straight - not angled - XLR connector):
24-inch P-Tap to 4 pin canon XLR monitor power cord - Zacuto

Note that the Anton Bauer QRXLH has an output specifically for the camcorder's battery compartment and the Anton Bauer plate has a P-tap from which this accessory cable can be attached to the Ki Pro's 4-pin XLR connector.

An example of the AJA accessory holder and mounting option for the Ki Pro that can be found at our resellers:
AJA Exoskeleton for Ki Pro with Sliding Base Plate and Mount Hardware :: Players/Recorders Accessories :: Video Players/Recorders & Accessories :: Post Production Tools :: Equipment Sales :: Abel Cine Tech

An example of an alternative accessory holder and mounting option for the Ki Pro Mini from Genus:
Genus Ki Pro Cage - Genus Video and DSLR products

Hopefully you will find this information useful.

Regards,
Jon Thorn
Product Manager
AJA Video Systems, Inc.

Shaggy Franks May 20th, 2011 05:45 AM

Hey we just got the KiPro Mini in! :)
Now what is the best way to attach this guy on the XL H1s?
We do have the QR XLH but it seems there is no good way to attach them together.
Is there something I am missing? Oh yeah I have to plates for the mini...

Jon Thorn May 20th, 2011 02:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Shaggy F. - You may find the solution that is pictured in this posting to be the easiest configuration when working with the Canon XLH1s and the Ki Pro Mini.

This is the configuration I use with the Canon XLH1s and it is good for both tripod as well as handheld work.

This configuration is achieved by using the Canon-supplied rear bracket with the appropriate 3mm/4mm sized screws screwed into the Canon bracket and then sliding the Ki Pro Mini with Mounting Plate attached onto this via the Mounting Plates recessed slots (which mimic wireless mic holder slots). Then an Anton Bauer battery plate is attached to the Ki Pro Mini's other side via another Mounting Plate. (Note that Anton Bauer battery plates often ship with a screw size that does not match that used by the AJA plate. The AJA plate uses a #4-48 screw.) You can get detailed information about the screw sizes via this document:
http://www.aja.com/pdf/Ki_Pro_Mini_MountingPlate.pdf

In the configuration I suggest, the camera uses the standard batteries and the Ki Pro uses the Anton Bauer battery. The Ki Pro Mini receives power from the Anton Bauer battery plate via a simple 2-pin P-tap to 4-pin XLR adapter cable. You could elect to power both the camera and the Ki Pro Mini via the Anton Bauer QR-XLH plate and one of these 2-pin P-tap to 4-pin XLR adapter cables, but I'ver personally never rigged it this way. I'm sure this could be accomplished if you wanted to work this way, but it might mean mounting the Ki Pro Mini differently than pictured. And I've always found the configuration shown here to be the easiest and nicest in terms of balance.

Several different methods for mounting Ki Pro Mini and the various screw types and sizes is also covered in this document:
http://www.aja.com/pdf/Ki_Pro_Mini_Mounting_Options.pdf

If you need additional assistance, you can speak with your AJA reseller or with AJA Technical Support via phone or email.

Also, please excuse the quality of the image presented here as it was simply a quick shot taken with my cel phone camera before NAB.

Hope this is helpful,
Jon Thorn
Product Manager
AJA Video Systems, Inc.

Shaggy Franks May 24th, 2011 02:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Jon thanks for the reply.
Do I understand this right you screw the Anton Bauer battery plate of the QR XLH (where you can see guts and wires) and screw it on to a AJA plate? Don't you have to screw the Anton Bauer bat plate from the backside?

I did try to attach the mini to the canon plate that is provide with the camera but I could not find a position to line up four holes.

This is what I have:

Jon Thorn May 24th, 2011 05:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Shaggy F. - Note that when I answered your original question posted on March 7th in this thread, you were talking about powering the Ki Pro and your Canon XLH1s, not the Ki Pro Mini.

With the Ki Pro Mini, I suggested a slightly different approach based on a configuration that we have used regularly with the Canon XLH1s. I included information on mounting and the pieces used. At the end of the last post, an image of that configuration was also included for the sake of clarity.

At the end of this post, you will see yet another configuration, using the pieces that you have plus an additional piece.

The one additional piece is from Anton Bauer (ABWMK Kit):
Anton/Bauer - Products - ABWMK KIT

You will need the appropriate screws for the wireless plate and the 2-pin P-tap to 4-pin XLR power cable (as noted for the other configuration as well).

If you need additional assistance with this configuration, you might consider contacting AJA Technical Support or, better yet, your local AJA reseller for hands-on help.

Again, please excuse the quality of the image I am posting as it was created with my iPhone 3G under office lighting conditions.

Hope this is helpful,
Jon Thorn
Product Manager
AJA Video Systems, Inc.

Shaggy Franks May 25th, 2011 02:54 AM

Jon thanks for the input, but...
My reply from yesterday was referring to the Mini which we have been posting...
Now this is getting confusing, your post from the 20th May only describes using the Canon XL plate that is provided, the AJA mini KiPro with two plates and one QR-XLH?? Which as shown in the attached photo we have. Which will not line up with the holes...

But now on your last reply a Anton Bauer ABWMK KIT is being mentioned.
So there is no way to attach the mini with the setup that I have at the moment?

Maybe a close up of the mini attached will help.

Thank you

Jon Thorn May 25th, 2011 08:43 AM

Shaggy F. - The first image I posted was of a regular Anton Bauer battery plate attached to the Ki Pro Mini via a Mounting Plate, not the Anton Bauer QR-XLH battery plate. The second image is of the QR-XLH battery plate mounted to the Canon-supplied bracket and then the Ki Pro Mini mounted to that plate via the Anton Bauer ABWMK Kit. Please look at the pictures posted carefully to compare.

When you reference the May 20th post, take note of this portion, "You could elect to power both the camera and the Ki Pro Mini via the Anton Bauer QR-XLH plate and one of these 2-pin P-tap to 4-pin XLR adapter cables, but I'ver personally never rigged it this way. I'm sure this could be accomplished if you wanted to work this way, but it might mean mounting the Ki Pro Mini differently than pictured."

I had never rigged it this way as I stated and noted there might be a difference in the way the Ki Pro Mini was mounted. The difference is the use of the Anton Bauer ABWMK Kit. Since the Anton Bauer QR-XLH battery plate has holes unique to mounting on the Canon-supplied bracket, it doesn't align with holes on the Mini Mounting Plate.

Please review the two options I've provided images and parts for; they differ in which type of Anton Bauer battery plate is used as well as where the battery is mounted compared to the Ki Pro Mini. Again, you might want to contact your local reseller for hands-on assistance if the images supplied aren't sufficiently helpful.

Hope this is helpful,
Jon Thorn
Product Manager
AJA Video Systems, Inc.

Brian Lai October 6th, 2011 10:53 AM

Hi Jon, Would you recommend the Anton Bauer Gold Mount Kit for the Ki Pro Mini for a Sony F3 if I intend to power both camera and Mini from the same battery? I currently have the Mini mounted on the Ki Pro rod supports on one AJA mounting plate. Would I need an additional plate to mount the Gold Mount onto? (ad says mount directly 'onto' Ki Pro Mini)

Also, would you recommend going with a stronger battery like a HyTron 140 if I intend to power both the Mini and the camera with the same battery? Balancing a 5 lb. battery is not a problem for me.

Thanks.

Jon Thorn October 6th, 2011 11:33 AM

Brian L. - I think you might be referring to this item and it's description:
Anton/Bauer - Products - QRC-DUAL PT

This doesn't mount directly to the Ki Pro Mini (it's just phrased a little strange in the description); it requires a mounting plate from either Anton Bauer or AJA or others.

Anton Bauer offers:
Anton/Bauer - Products - MATRIX Cheese Plate

AJA offers:
Ki Pro Mini - AJA Video Systems

Zacuto offers:
Zwiss Plate

Genus offers:
Genus Cheeseplate - Genus Video and DSLR products

There are others as well; we saw lots of new plates like this at the IBC tradeshow this year.

There are several battery choices, just keep in mind that if you want to power the Sony PMW-F3 and the Ki Pro Mini, you need to account for the power draw from each device. The absolute maximum draw from a Ki Pro Mini would be 18 watts, with idle running at around 11 or 12 watts and typically during recording 15 or 16 watts. The Sony PMW-F3 is listed by Sony at 24 watts. I can't say, based on the literature, whether that's a constant number or whether it is sometimes slightly higher or lower than that, so it might be wise to say 30 watts to be on the safe side. So the combined maximum number would be something like 50 watts and the minimum number might be around 40 watts.

You can choose whatever battery you think suits your shooting style best; if you need light weight, then you might choose a Dionic 90 which would likely give you over an hour, but less than 2 hours of run time. If you wanted longer record times, you might consider the larger capacity batteries that Anton Bauer offers, like the Hytrons, that you mention.

I noticed from your info that you are located in Hong Kong. You can consider working with one of the AJA value added resellers in your region like Viewcon Systems, Jadason Technology or A&S Broadcast to help you configure things. You can also always contact AJA directly with questions.

Hope this is helpful information,
Jon Thorn
Senior Product Manager
AJA Video Systems, Inc.

Tim Kerigan October 6th, 2011 04:12 PM

We're using Sony V-mount's instead of Anton Bauer's but this might give you an idea how we have ours set up.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-X...908_131530.jpg

Mounts one each side of the Ki Pro Mini, for the battery and the AB plate underneath. Battery powers the Ki Pro Mini, power goes out to the AB plate then into the F3.

Brian Lai October 6th, 2011 05:14 PM

Tim, are you happy with the Sony V mounts running time when powering both units? Are they more cost effective than Anton Bauers?

Thanks for posting the picture. I'm mounting the Mini vertically now with just one set of rod supports and one plate, but the 2nd plate and the eventual battery add-on may be too much for a single set of rod supports.

Jon Thorn October 6th, 2011 06:12 PM

Brian L. - I can tell you that, as a general rule, it's not too much weight for 15mm rods to use two mounting plates, the Ki Pro Mini and an Anton Bauer battery.

You can see just that configuration here, on page 3, when used alongside a Sony PMW-EX1, Zacuto baseplate and Anton Bauer Dionic 90:
http://www.aja.com/pdf/Ki_Pro_Mini_Mounting_Options.pdf

Hope this is helpful,
Jon Thorn
Senior Product Manager
AJA Video Systems, Inc.

Tim Kerigan October 6th, 2011 10:32 PM

I've never tried the AB batteries actually, we also run Sony 350's so it's more cost effective this way. I couldn't give you a good estimate as far as time, haven't had too much hands-on time with these yet. With the 350 and the Ki Pro Mini though it's been a more than adequate run time.