DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   AJA Io and Ki Pro (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/aja-io-ki-pro/)
-   -   Take No. question (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/aja-io-ki-pro/505614-take-no-question.html)

Nick G. Smith February 27th, 2012 05:15 AM

Take No. question

When formatting cards on my kipromini I notice the Take no. does not revert to 1 but remains at the Take no. last used. It seems that on each card the Take no. has to be manually set to 1 so that the Take no.s will increment in order across the cards.

I have only noticed this with the new firmware.

Is this a correct procedure as if you don't remember to set each card to 1 it can be very annoying.

Jon Thorn February 27th, 2012 10:13 AM

Re: Take No. question

Nick S. - The take number is designed to auto-increment on the device, not just by Compact Flash card. For example, you begin recording with the clip name "SC1ATK1", subsequent take numbers would be "SC1ATK2" and "SC1ATK3" and so on. If you continue using "SC1A" as the clip name and move to a new Compact Flash card for recording, the take number will continue incrementing, to say "SC1ATK4" as an example. If you change to "SC2A" (or another not yet used name), then the take number would reset to "TK1". Changing media does not reset the take number value because you might wish to continue the continuity of takes across more than one Compact Flash card. If you want to reset a value back to "TK1" for a completely new project, simply hold down the Adjust Up/Down buttons simultaneously for the MEDIA menu Take parameter and it will reset to "TK1"; you don't need to depress the individual Adjust Down button repeatedly to reset to "TK1".

General hint: holding down the Adjust Up/Down buttons simultaneously will reset a CONFIG or MEDIA menu parameter back to its default value.

Hope this information is helpful,
Jon Thorn
Senior Product Manager
AJA Video Systems, Inc.

Nick G. Smith February 27th, 2012 12:14 PM

Jon, Thanks for prompt reply and for the tip to go to TK 1.

On my last shoot and on subsequent tests today the TK no. was jumping when switching cards. For example the first card went from TK 1 to TK 16 - when I switched cards to a newly formatted card the the TK number jumped to 177 and then the next card jumped to TK 275. My scene number was always set at SC1.

From what you are saying this should not happen and it is the first time it has happened to me. I updated new firmware last week so was wondering if this is happening to anyone else.

Jon Thorn February 27th, 2012 01:09 PM

Nick S. - The take numbers increment up based on the highest value detected on the media. It sounds like you might have had a take number of 176 on the media you switched over to prior to formatting it. If this was the case, the Ki Pro Mini would have set the next take number to be 177 (even if you formatted the card) because this was the highest value it detected. If you recorded on this card for a while, say up to take number 274, and then switched to another card, it would have begun at take number 275. (Or if that media was switched to and it had a take number 274 on it prior to you formatting it.)

A quick test to try is this: with two pieces of freshly formatted media, reset the take number to 1. Record a few takes on the first piece of media, say TK1, TK2, TK3 and then switch to a new piece of media. You should see the take number produced on that media be TK4 if you don't reset the take value in the MEDIA menu parameter.

Hope this information is helpful,
Jon Thorn
Senior Product Manager
AJA Video Systems, Inc.

Nick G. Smith February 28th, 2012 02:11 AM

Thanks Jon. That explains it.