Aja io hd - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > AJA Io and Ki Pro

AJA Io and Ki Pro
...plus others from the AJA product line.

Old December 14th, 2007, 11:54 AM   #16
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Liebergot View Post
IAnd yes you can capture HDMI to PRORES o the fly and HDMI carries both video and audio, similar to SDI, but SDI has a higher bandwidth than HDMI does.
Note that the HD SDI output on the Canon XLH1 dosn't carry the audio signal!
Old December 14th, 2007, 12:47 PM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Per Johan Naesje View Post
Note that the HD SDI output on the Canon XLH1 dosn't carry the audio signal!
True, but I believe you can record to tape and get the audio that way (as well as back up)
Yes?
John Benton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2007, 12:53 PM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Liebergot View Post
BTW you can also capture via Firewire to PRORES on the fly in FCP, if your system and drives are fast enough.
Interesting, but the firewire cant carry an uncompressed signal, so it needs some compression (like HDV) coming from the camera first...
?
Old December 14th, 2007, 01:02 PM   #19
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Benton View Post
True, but I believe you can record to tape and get the audio that way (as well as back up)
Yes?
Yes you can if audio quality don't matter! You get Mpeg-1, 16 bit (48KHz)
Old December 14th, 2007, 01:06 PM   #20
Major Player

So Sound Recording to another deck is the only/best option then...?
Thanks
Old December 14th, 2007, 04:09 PM   #21
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Benton View Post
Interesting, but the firewire cant carry an uncompressed signal, so it needs some compression (like HDV) coming from the camera first...
?
It depends on how you want to feed footage from the HV20 to your computer.

If you are doing a live feed via HDMI, then you can record uncompressed 4:2:2 to your Mac system.

If you are planning on going from pre recorded tape from the HV20, then it shouldn't make that much of a visable difference to go from HDV tape to converted PRORES via HDMI or FW. Because you are already compressing the signal to HDV when you record to tape in the first place.

Since the footage is already compressed on tape you aren't gaining anything going to PRORES, except to get out of a long GOP HDV codec to edit and go to tape with.
Old October 17th, 2008, 12:08 PM   #22
MPS Digital Studios

Question about AJA io HD and Blackmagic Design DeckLink

I am helping a client out who has a Power Mac G5 with an SDI-only I/O Blackmagic DeckLink HD card, and he needs to capture some Betacam SP footage. But without an analog I/O port(s), he can't do it.

We hooked up a laptop and an io HD to the Betacam SP deck and then we put an SDI cable running from the SDI-out port on the io HD into the DeckLink HD card. I am able to capture video and sound from the laptop's Final Cut Pro timeline or viewer.

But when he try to open the log and capture on both the systems, we get video on the laptop but we're getting flashing video (video, then black, video, then black, etc.) on the Power Mac with the DeckLink HD card. Is there anyway we can get the video coming from the Betacam deck, going through the io HD (and controlled by the laptop), out through the io HD's SDI port and into the DeckLink's io HD port?

All our settings are correct, because whatever's on the laptop's timeline or viewer, I can see, hear and capture it within the Power Mac, but not if it's coming from the Betacam deck.

We downloaded the io HD software to the Power Mac, but the AJA unit wouldn't work with the Power Mac running both Blackmagic Design and AJA software.

Also, we reversed things and were able to play video out of the Power Mac/DeckLink HD card and into the io HD, which then dubbed to Betacam tape (the laptop was controlling the io HD).

Obviously, one solution would be to capture the video onto a firewire drive with the laptop and io HD, but then we have to copy the files onto the Power Mac's secondary internal drive. We're trying to avoid that.

Then again, maybe it can't be done, capturing the footage while it goes through the io HD and into the DeckLink HD card. I've been called crazy before. (wink)

Thanks,

Heath
Old January 11th, 2009, 09:15 PM   #23
Regular Crew

Canon XL H1, AJA I/O HD audio issue

Hey guys,
this may be operator error and I need a little help. I shot a music video with the Canon XL H1 via HD-SDI all to a G-SATA 1TB drive via the AJA I/O HD, and we did a down-convert on the fly from 1080i to 720p. We had the artist sing perform to the track via the sound system at the club, as well as the stereo system that we had on set. Now that we're in post i seem to have a solution for getting the audio from the CD to match with the video. It must be a frame rate conversion, but I don't know. Please help on how I can make it work. Thank you.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > AJA Io and Ki Pro