DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   AJA Io and Ki Pro (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/aja-io-ki-pro/)
-   -   Aja io hd (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/aja-io-ki-pro/93007-aja-io-hd.html)

Chris Hill March 16th, 2004 09:51 AM

Aja io hd

Hey everybody. I went to ShowBiz Expo in Chicago at the end of last year, and there was a booth were there was a setup with the Aja Io module hooked up to a G4. The guy had a demo with music videos running, on 2 displays. He said something about uncompressed "blah blah blah". (I am a neewbe to this language.)

I was wondering if someone could please explain what this module does and how can I use it for my projects.
I have seen the results in the demo, and it does seem like an excellent piece of equipment.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Canon XL1s
Mac G4
17" Apple Display
Final Cut Pro

Glenn Chan March 16th, 2004 03:34 PM

I for in.
O for out. Io.

It takes a whole bunch of formats in and out, particularly uncompressed via SDI and component. You should probably check out the product brochure for it on the Aja site, it should list all the ins and outs.

One downside is, sound playing out your Mac (i.e. through the front speaker) and the video coming out through the Io won't be in sync from what I understand.

Article on working uncompressed:
http://www.lafcpug.org/feature_capture_card.html Please note that the article is dated and doesn't seem to talk about the cheap Blackmagic cards that have came out.

Chris Hill March 16th, 2004 07:10 PM

Hey thanx 4 ur reply!
1 more question?

What does SDI stand for? My guess is "standard definition interface?"

Glenn Chan March 16th, 2004 07:20 PM

SDI = serial digital interface
It's a digital connection so everything should be lossless.

Alessandro Machi March 17th, 2004 03:02 AM

SDI is the big brother of firewire. It's supposed to be more robust and offer higher quality.

Jacques Mersereau May 2nd, 2007 10:53 AM

Aja Io Hd

Has anyone checked out this unit at NAB?
http://www.aja.com/html/products_Io_IoHD.html

And if so, did anyone get the skinny on the price and
delivery date?

Michael Ferreira May 2nd, 2007 05:16 PM

Did not get to play with it at NAB in fact i did not even see it in person.. But the pres they did was great. Sorry i cant confirm the price for you but like all great video devices it will cost more then most cams.

Eugen Oprina July 5th, 2007 03:13 PM

Good news from AJA and MAC

AJA lunched AJA io HD which gives us the possibility to capture on the field at Apple ProRes 422 Codec on the new series MAC Book Pro with Final Cut Studio 2.
I tried to see the difference between HD uncompresed and Apple ProRes 422 Codec on the big screen with an HD projector, I can't say that I noticed any. 1 h 1900/1200 uncompressed is 1 TB and Apple ProRes 422 Codec is 170 GB.
AJA inputs are HD/SD SDI and HD/SD components and the output is Firewire800. AJA io HD has a hardware PRORes converter.
I consider it a very good news for JVC users.
Good luck,
Eugen

Antony Michael Wilson July 7th, 2007 05:42 AM

Yes, it is great news that there is finally an Apple equivalent to Avid's DNx HD codec. With the new AJA HDi/o and FCP, you have yet another reason not to buy into Avid's Media Composer Adrenaline. Now, if Apple could just do something about media management...

Tim Allison August 13th, 2007 08:28 AM

Sony HVR-M25U and AJA Io-HD

We are interested in the AJA Io-HD, but I have a question concerning HDMI inputs. We shoot HDV on a Sony HVR-V1U, and feed it into Final Cut thru a Sony HVR-M25U deck. We want to connect the M25U to the Io-HD thru the HDMI port. I've been told that HDMI does not include time code information. Does that mean that you will not be able to log and batch capture via HDMI? Or will you alway have to "crash" capture when using HDMI?

Kevin Burton August 30th, 2007 11:28 AM

Hey Tim

I believe you will use the firewire 400 connection from the deck to your computer for time code info

Jim Press September 12th, 2007 11:41 PM

AJA IoHD: 2 camera streams simultaneously??

Can the AJA IoHD injest two cameras simultaneously? I know it's got 2 SDI inputs but I understand they're for 4:4:4 capture. I'm trying to save buying 2 machines (for a 2 camera live-mix shoot) if possible...

Jamie Allan November 2nd, 2007 04:00 AM

Aja Iohd

Anyone else got one yet? Would love to hear any bugs/problems/praise. It's just as good as everyone thought it would be, although I've been talking about it for so long its become a bit of an anti-climax...Still, full HD workflow on my desk ;)

One issue I've come across so far is with powering down - when I turned it off or disconnected the FW800 it caused a kernel panic - advice from AJA is:

We recommend powering up the Io HD before booting the computer.

Power-down the computer before turning off or disconnecting the Io HD.

John Benton December 14th, 2007 10:29 AM

Aja IOHD?

I am considering this for my H1
but I also am procuring an HV20 to use with a Letus
and I wonder if anyone has captured to prores through the HDMI
on the IO HD with this cam
Is the sound going through the HDMI too?
Thanks
J

Michael Liebergot December 14th, 2007 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Benton (Post 792444)
I am considering this for my H1
but I also am procuring an HV20 to use with a Letus
and I wonder if anyone has captured to prores through the HDMI
on the IO HD with this cam
Is the sound going through the HDMI too?
Thanks
J

I saw one first hand the other night at our local video meeting along with a Canon rep and a local dealer.
He uses the IOHD for everything, and it looks like a real sweet setup.
You cna capture and output any possible format you want with this box.

And yes you can capture HDMI to PRORES o the fly and HDMI carries both video and audio, similar to SDI, but SDI has a higher bandwidth than HDMI does.
BTW you can also capture via Firewire to PRORES on the fly in FCP, if your system and drives are fast enough.

Also BTW, you also have a similar box by MOTU the V3HD available to use in the same manner. I have heard real good things on this box as well. The main difference with this compared to the IOHD (besides being about $1,00 cheaper) is that the IOHD captures in PRORES and the V3HD captures and converts to the DVCPRO HD codec.

Also, the V3HD is larger and not as portable as the IOHD and it has an HDMI OUT port, no HDMI IN.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Interface.html