Aja io hd at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > AJA Io and Ki Pro
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

AJA Io and Ki Pro
...plus others from the AJA product line.

Old March 16th, 2004, 09:51 AM   #1
New Boot

Aja io hd

Hey everybody. I went to ShowBiz Expo in Chicago at the end of last year, and there was a booth were there was a setup with the Aja Io module hooked up to a G4. The guy had a demo with music videos running, on 2 displays. He said something about uncompressed "blah blah blah". (I am a neewbe to this language.)

I was wondering if someone could please explain what this module does and how can I use it for my projects.
I have seen the results in the demo, and it does seem like an excellent piece of equipment.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Canon XL1s
Mac G4
17" Apple Display
Final Cut Pro
Chris Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2004, 03:34 PM   #2
Inner Circle

I for in.
O for out. Io.

It takes a whole bunch of formats in and out, particularly uncompressed via SDI and component. You should probably check out the product brochure for it on the Aja site, it should list all the ins and outs.

One downside is, sound playing out your Mac (i.e. through the front speaker) and the video coming out through the Io won't be in sync from what I understand.

Article on working uncompressed:
http://www.lafcpug.org/feature_capture_card.html Please note that the article is dated and doesn't seem to talk about the cheap Blackmagic cards that have came out.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2004, 07:10 PM   #3
New Boot

Hey thanx 4 ur reply!
1 more question?

What does SDI stand for? My guess is "standard definition interface?"
Chris Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2004, 07:20 PM   #4
Inner Circle

SDI = serial digital interface
It's a digital connection so everything should be lossless.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2004, 03:02 AM   #5
Major Player

SDI is the big brother of firewire. It's supposed to be more robust and offer higher quality.
Old May 2nd, 2007, 10:53 AM   #6
Trustee

Aja Io Hd

Has anyone checked out this unit at NAB?
http://www.aja.com/html/products_Io_IoHD.html

And if so, did anyone get the skinny on the price and
delivery date?
Old May 2nd, 2007, 05:16 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Did not get to play with it at NAB in fact i did not even see it in person.. But the pres they did was great. Sorry i cant confirm the price for you but like all great video devices it will cost more then most cams.
Old July 5th, 2007, 03:13 PM   #8
Major Player

Good news from AJA and MAC

AJA lunched AJA io HD which gives us the possibility to capture on the field at Apple ProRes 422 Codec on the new series MAC Book Pro with Final Cut Studio 2.
I tried to see the difference between HD uncompresed and Apple ProRes 422 Codec on the big screen with an HD projector, I can't say that I noticed any. 1 h 1900/1200 uncompressed is 1 TB and Apple ProRes 422 Codec is 170 GB.
AJA inputs are HD/SD SDI and HD/SD components and the output is Firewire800. AJA io HD has a hardware PRORes converter.
I consider it a very good news for JVC users.
Good luck,
Eugen
Eugen Oprina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2007, 05:42 AM   #9
Major Player

Yes, it is great news that there is finally an Apple equivalent to Avid's DNx HD codec. With the new AJA HDi/o and FCP, you have yet another reason not to buy into Avid's Media Composer Adrenaline. Now, if Apple could just do something about media management...
Antony Michael Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2007, 08:28 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Sony HVR-M25U and AJA Io-HD

We are interested in the AJA Io-HD, but I have a question concerning HDMI inputs. We shoot HDV on a Sony HVR-V1U, and feed it into Final Cut thru a Sony HVR-M25U deck. We want to connect the M25U to the Io-HD thru the HDMI port. I've been told that HDMI does not include time code information. Does that mean that you will not be able to log and batch capture via HDMI? Or will you alway have to "crash" capture when using HDMI?
Tim Allison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2007, 11:28 AM   #11
Kevin Burton

Hey Tim

I believe you will use the firewire 400 connection from the deck to your computer for time code info
Old September 12th, 2007, 11:41 PM   #12
Regular Crew

AJA IoHD: 2 camera streams simultaneously??

Can the AJA IoHD injest two cameras simultaneously? I know it's got 2 SDI inputs but I understand they're for 4:4:4 capture. I'm trying to save buying 2 machines (for a 2 camera live-mix shoot) if possible...
Jim Press is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2007, 04:00 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Aja Iohd

Anyone else got one yet? Would love to hear any bugs/problems/praise. It's just as good as everyone thought it would be, although I've been talking about it for so long its become a bit of an anti-climax...Still, full HD workflow on my desk ;)

One issue I've come across so far is with powering down - when I turned it off or disconnected the FW800 it caused a kernel panic - advice from AJA is:

We recommend powering up the Io HD before booting the computer.

Power-down the computer before turning off or disconnecting the Io HD.
Jamie Allan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2007, 10:29 AM   #14
Major Player

Aja IOHD?

I am considering this for my H1
but I also am procuring an HV20 to use with a Letus
and I wonder if anyone has captured to prores through the HDMI
on the IO HD with this cam
Is the sound going through the HDMI too?
Thanks
J
John Benton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2007, 11:38 AM   #15
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Benton View Post
I am considering this for my H1
but I also am procuring an HV20 to use with a Letus
and I wonder if anyone has captured to prores through the HDMI
on the IO HD with this cam
Is the sound going through the HDMI too?
Thanks
J
I saw one first hand the other night at our local video meeting along with a Canon rep and a local dealer.
He uses the IOHD for everything, and it looks like a real sweet setup.
You cna capture and output any possible format you want with this box.

And yes you can capture HDMI to PRORES o the fly and HDMI carries both video and audio, similar to SDI, but SDI has a higher bandwidth than HDMI does.
BTW you can also capture via Firewire to PRORES on the fly in FCP, if your system and drives are fast enough.

Also BTW, you also have a similar box by MOTU the V3HD available to use in the same manner. I have heard real good things on this box as well. The main difference with this compared to the IOHD (besides being about $1,00 cheaper) is that the IOHD captures in PRORES and the V3HD captures and converts to the DVCPRO HD codec.

Also, the V3HD is larger and not as portable as the IOHD and it has an HDMI OUT port, no HDMI IN.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Interface.html

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > AJA Io and Ki Pro