Sennheiser HD580 Headphones for Monitoring? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old July 29th, 2007, 11:40 PM   #1
Trustee

Sennheiser HD580 Headphones for Monitoring?

I've read that the Sony MDR7506 is THE heaphones to use for on location monitoring. However, I already own a pair of Sennheiser HD580's.

http://www.sennheiserusa.com/newsite...transid=004195

Anyone using the Senn HD580's? Think they'll work as well as the Sonys for monitoring sound? THANKS!
Peter Moretti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2007, 03:21 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Your 580s should work fine.

I own Sennheiser HD 280s, and have compared them to the Sony 7506s. The Senns are flatter; the Sonys more scooped. Given that, the Senns are better for mixing (and, yes, there are problems with mixing on headphones), and the Sonys are a bit better for tracking. The extra bass and treble of the Sonys help the sound stand out a bit better from the ambient sound.

I believe that the 580s are a bit more scooped than the 280s. You should be fine with them. As long as they have decent isolation, and don't distort when you drive the levels over the ambient sound, they should be fine.
Old July 30th, 2007, 03:49 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Moretti View Post
I've read that the Sony MDR7506 is THE heaphones to use for on location monitoring. However, I already own a pair of Sennheiser HD580's.

http://www.sennheiserusa.com/newsite...transid=004195

Anyone using the Senn HD580's? Think they'll work as well as the Sonys for monitoring sound? THANKS!
I'm a fan of the Sennheisers for listening and have the Sony 7506 and 7509 . I bought those because they are more rugged, fold up , have a little more bass response which is useful for monitoring microphone handling noise and b's and p's and wind noise. I've owned either the 580 or a model similar in appearance, and those little cords just break off. Another issue is that my Sennheiser output level is a little lower than that of the Sonys for monitoring my Sony Z1U camcorder directly from that headphone jack, or so it seems.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio