Red Rght Returning at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old July 30th, 2007, 05:47 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Red Rght Returning

A million years ago when I was studying marine navigation (It was interesting - no other reason) that's how they taught us to remember which color marker buoy should be passed on which side of the boat when entering a harbor..

So here's the dumb question - when a mic has a red dot on one side, should the red dot be on the right or the left as you look from behind the mic?

In which case I guess it would be Red Right Recording.
Jim Andrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2007, 06:19 PM   #2
Inner Circle

I'm not aware of red dots being specific to orientation.

Red dots on schoeps mics mean they are hotter than those without.

A red dot on a Beyer m160 ribbon mic means you store it that way to keep the ribbon from sagging.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2007, 12:14 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I believe the Sanken CUB-01 has a red dot on the capsule pointing towards front and center of its cardioid pattern. This is probably due to its unique shape. Not sure what other mics have this indicator.
Abe Dolinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2007, 07:43 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Andrada View Post
.. when a mic has a red dot on one side, should the red dot be on the right or the left as you look from behind the mic?...
A red dot on a mic could also mean that the phase is reversed in that pin 2 is now negative and pin 3 is hot.
Jim Boda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2007, 08:53 AM   #5
Inner Circle

An additional thought - if the mic is a side address mic they may have a dot to indicate the front. For instance, my Rode NT1A side-address cardioid has a gold dot to indicate the side that should be facing the sound source. It can also indicate the polarity of a figure-8 mic, with the dot indicating the side from which an increasing pressure wave will cause the output voltage to go positive.
Old July 31st, 2007, 12:43 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Steve - thanks. This is exactly the source of my question.

I'm looking at a figure 8 mic and there is a red dot on one side and a black dot on the other. There's also a 0 degree mark on the end that would align with the red dot.

I think my real question then would be, when using a figure 8 mic in an m/s configuration, is there a convention as to which lobe should be on the right vs left

Last edited by Jim Andrada; July 31st, 2007 at 12:50 PM. Reason: Additional comment/fix typo
Jim Andrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2007, 02:21 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Andrada View Post
Steve - thanks. This is exactly the source of my question.

I'm looking at a figure 8 mic and there is a red dot on one side and a black dot on the other. There's also a 0 degree mark on the end that would align with the red dot.

I think my real question then would be, when using a figure 8 mic in an m/s configuration, is there a convention as to which lobe should be on the right vs left
In a cardioid/figure-8 M/S array, the positive side of the figure-8 points 90 degrees left by convention with the cardioid pointing to stage centre. The matirx therefore is L=M+S and R=M-S
Old July 31st, 2007, 04:09 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Sometimes it's an indication that someone was sloppy with red paint near the mic.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio