Avoiding Clothing Noise on Lav mic at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old August 1st, 2007, 03:07 PM   #1
Major Player

Avoiding Clothing Noise on Lav mic

Hello,

I've done a couple of weddings were I place my Iriver 895/Azden on the lav of the groom. For the life of me I cont. to get clothing noise. Can someone tell me the best way to avoid this?

Thanks,
Troy
Troy Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2007, 03:17 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Davis View Post
Hello,

I've done a couple of weddings were I place my Iriver 895/Azden on the lav of the groom. For the life of me I cont. to get clothing noise. Can someone tell me the best way to avoid this?

Thanks,
Troy
One of the first things to look at is to insure there's a strain relieving "broadcast loop" in the cable right at the mic clip. A quick google search will turn up several sites with step by step pictures how to rig one. Moleskin and double sided tape can also help cut down mic and cable movement and even fasten layers of clothing together to stop them sliding over each other.
Old August 1st, 2007, 03:42 PM   #3
Major Player

I have tried everything from the new rycote sticky covers, moleskin, silk,and nothing eliminated clothing noise until I bought the Tram TR50 mic. It has a great clip and the back of the foam cover has a plastic back, hence the mic has no friction when in contact with clothing. Before I got the Tram I used Countrymans and lectrosincs mics. Both of those had great sound quality when no clothing noise was involved, but with the Tram 99% of the time there is no clothing noise and the sound is great.
John M. McCloskey is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio