DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Tuning in to Hotel Radio Mic (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/100779-tuning-hotel-radio-mic.html)

Sean Kiely August 7th, 2007 10:22 AM

Tuning in to Hotel Radio Mic

Hi folks,

I've already posted this in the Weddings & Events section,( www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=100763 ) but have been advised to post here instead.

I get the feeling there's a simple solution to this problem and I'm missing it - sorry if it's a daft question.

I use a Sennheiser G2 wireless setup during wedding ceremonies, and usualy ask the groom to keep his active for the speeches too. This works fine for the groom and anyone standing within two feet of him, but I'm relying on my Sennheiser K66 on cam mic to get audio for others further down the table. This audio, as you can guess, while audible, mostly picks up the p.a. and is full of boom - and sounds terrible compared to the G2 lav mic.

I've tried placing a Zoom H4 on the table, and that's an improvement, but still not there.

Here's my problem - I've tried to tune into the hotel's mic transmitter, from memory a Sennheiser evolution G2 500 Series, but for some reason, even though my receiver is showing the same frequency, I just get dead air.. even when the hotel is using a sennheiser too. I've never really changed any settings on my receiver since i bought it 12 months ago, so I'm not really all that familiar with the process. What am I doing wrong here, any one using the G2, maybe if you could post a step-by-step procedure I could follow?

Or is there another solution entirely?

Thank you for your time, really appreciate it!

Eric Shepherd August 7th, 2007 11:55 AM

Hi Sean,

That should work, if you have the same frequency set on both and they're the same product line, etc.

I just checked on my G2 receiver and the only thing that I could see having an affect would be the Squelch setting. But I really doubt it's squelching out the mic entirely.

Have you tried going in the other direction? Set your mic to their receiver frequency and see if they can pick you up? That may shed some light on this.

Let me know if it works in the other direction :)
Eric

Sean Kiely August 7th, 2007 12:13 PM

Thanks Eric, I'll check that out. I won't be there again until a few weeks from now, but I might get a chance to try something at the next wedding in a neighbouring hotel on Saturday. I'll certainly let you know what happens.

Eric Shepherd August 7th, 2007 12:16 PM

Okay cool, I'd like to know how you make out. I know some wireless systems have security features so they can't be easily listened to, but I don't see anything like that on the G2.

Perhaps someone else has some ideas, but it's a pretty straight-forward setup.

Let me know how it goes, I'm sure I'll be in the same spot one day and would like to know how to get out of it. :)

Eric

Sean Kiely August 10th, 2007 12:38 AM

OK Eric,this might interest you. Got some feedback from someone who works for Sennheiser.

On the G2 there's a pilot tone, which more or less helps keep the receiver locked into it own G2 transmitter, and not some other source. If you're taking a signal from an older G1 transmitter, or another non-Sennheiser transmitter, there's no pilot tone, so the receiver will perceive that signal as unwanted, and actually block that signal, even when it's tuned into the same frequency. To overcome this, just turn off pilot tone on your receiver, and it should come in loud and clear.

I'll let you know how that works out for me over the weekend.

Eric Shepherd August 10th, 2007 12:41 AM

Ahh that makes sense. I knew the pilot tone was there. I assumed if it was a G2 series system at the hotel, it would work the same, but possibly not. Good thought there. :)

Please do let me know how it works for you :)

Sean Kiely August 10th, 2007 12:54 AM

It may have been a G1 at the hotel, I wasn't taking too much notice at the time, so I presumed it was a G2 afterwards.

Eric Shepherd August 10th, 2007 12:59 AM

That could be. Wireless systems can be a hassle sometimes. I'm not sure, but you may be able to take a feed from the house sound system, and if it's line level (vs. mic level), run it through a pad or attenuator, then into the 1/8" mic input jack on your transmitter. I think this will work, not sure if it will.

I have the XLR transmitter with my G2 system, so I can just plug that into a system (but it needs a pad because it only takes mic level inputs :(

It would be cleaner and smoother for you if you can turn off the pilot and just pick up their frequency, so hopefully that'll do it. :)