Newbie Needs Advice on Equipment at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old May 25th, 2003, 09:23 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Newbie Needs Advice on Equipment

Ok, I'm looking to record mainly voice in a studio (er well, basement) of actors in front of a green screen. I have a Canon GL2 camera and no audio equipment except for an M-Audio Revolution sound card in my computer.

I'm a complete newbie when it comes to recording sound and microphones. What equipment do I need? (Microphones, adapters for the camera, etc) what would be the best and least expensive way of going about this? I really just need a few pointers...

Thanks.
Steve
Steve Withers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2003, 09:05 AM   #2
Major Player

I'll take a shot at the least expensive method. Buy a PZM microphone and place it in the middle of the group and have them talk. Record it to your camera so that you have a tape backup.

Ben Lynn
Ben Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2003, 03:42 PM   #3
Regular Crew

hmm, I was hoping to get something camera-mounted or possibly boom-mounted because there will be a few action shots. I'll look into that though.
Old May 26th, 2003, 04:17 PM   #4
Major Player

Well, a boom mounted mike would probably be the most versatile option and be able to cover the largest number of situations. I just threw out the pzm idea because it's extremely cheap and I know it will get you better sound than any on camera mike could do.

Audio is like video. If you want it to be good you need specific tools for specific jobs. So if you can get something that covers all your bases at least partially then you may have a start.

Ben Lynn
Ben Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2003, 04:20 PM   #5
Wrangler

If you are looking for an inexpensive, decent shotgun mic that is camera mounted, check out the Sennheiser MKE-300. Plugs right into the mic port.

Otherwise, for a boom mounted mic, which is a better choice, you will be looking at an XLR adapter, XLR cable, a boom, possibly a boom stand, and of course a mic. The Sennheiser ME66 is very popular, but not cheap. Azden makes a few cheaper shotgun mics which might fit the bill, but quite often, it's better to spend a bit more on a higher quality item.
Old May 26th, 2003, 06:52 PM   #6
Major Player

How does the MKE-300 compare to the Canon DM-50?
Stephen Sobel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2003, 07:21 PM   #7
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Dylan Couper :
Otherwise, for a boom mounted mic, which is a better choice, you will be looking at an XLR adapter, XLR cable, a boom, possibly a boom stand, and of course a mic. The Sennheiser ME66 is very popular, but not cheap. -->>>

I've researched the ME66 a bit, and if it comes with a mic stand clamp I could just put that on a mic stand and use it for a boom. (I'm blowing my budget on the mic, I can't afford a $500 boom when I can use a stand... heh) *heads on over to eBay*

What adapters would you recommend that are low cost? I've used a beachtek before... other than that I have no experience...
Old May 26th, 2003, 10:31 PM   #8
Wrangler

I like the Beachtek. There is a MA-300 for the GL2 cameras I think .

Many things can be used instead of a boom, like a painters pole. I don't use mic stands, so I can't really add what to look for in them.

I forgot, you should get a shock mount for the ME66 as well. That will be extra.

I haven't compared the MKE300 to the DM50, maybe someoen else has.
Old June 1st, 2003, 07:48 PM   #9
Regular Crew

I figured I don't have the money to go for something like the ME66.

I'm seriously considering the MKE300. What would happen if I mounted that some way (duct tape) to a boom? Assuming I had the extension cable. Is the MKE300 somewhat directional? I guess.. "would it work" as a boom mic is what I'm asking. heh.
Old June 4th, 2003, 08:04 AM   #10
Regular Crew

don't forget the AT835b

In considering shotgun/boom mics, when considering the Sennheiser K6/ME66 (+/-$400) and the Azden SGM-2x (+/-$225) and SGM-1x (+/-$150), don't forget the AT835b(+/-$235). Price is very reasonable for a mic like this with very clean sound and it is more durable than some of the competition as well.

<<<-- Originally posted by Steve Withers : I figured I don't have the money to go for something like the ME66.

I'm seriously considering the MKE300. What would happen if I mounted that some way (duct tape) to a boom? Assuming I had the extension cable. Is the MKE300 somewhat directional? I guess.. "would it work" as a boom mic is what I'm asking. heh. -->>>

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio