Giant Squid for both iRiver and camera? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old August 12th, 2007, 08:19 AM   #1
Trustee

Giant Squid for both iRiver and camera?

Has anyone tried to use the Giant-Squid mic's (for the iRiver) into their DV camcorder as well?
I was thinking about getting the iRiver mic, but want to see if it can double for camera mic - I just don't know if it is going to be a good combination, because it is made for the iRiver...
Any one tried?
David Delaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2007, 10:29 AM   #2
Major Player

The difference between mics wired for iRivers and normal use is a matter of how the connector is wired. There is no other difference. I have made a couple of adapters using some inexpensive parts found at Sayal Electronics in Burlington. I believe the same parts can be had at The Source by Circuit City if you don't feel like driving that far.

All one needs to do is get a 3.5mm inline headphone jack and wire it to a 3.5MM plug so that the tip of the jack connects to the ring on the plug. The ring on the jack and the tip of the plug are left unconnected. You also need to connect the sleeve on both ends using the shield. Thats all it is.

It is better to get a normal mic and use the adapter IMHO so that when using the lav on better equipment you don't have extra connectors to potentially make noise.

You can also make a Y adapter and use two mics in stereo mode by just getting two mono inline jacks and connecting them the to the tip for one channel and ring for the other channel. Of course the shield has to be connected to the sleeve on each connector.
Les Nagy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2007, 10:58 AM   #3
Trustee

Les,

Are you saying that you put together the SAME mic from the Source, or just the connectors?
I am thinking about buying today from Giant Squid...
David Delaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2007, 11:59 AM   #4
Major Player

I made the adapter (connectors) only. I did this to use normal mics on my iRivers. And just to be clear, only the IFP series of iRivers have mic in.
Les Nagy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2007, 12:07 PM   #5
Major Player

Also I just realized I made an error. There are differences in the capsule used in the iRiver Giant Squid mic. It is more sensitive. Sorry about that.
Les Nagy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio