Sennheiser MKH-50 with BBG? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old August 15th, 2007, 04:26 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Sennheiser MKH-50 with BBG?

Anyone have any success using the Sennheiser MKH-50 with a Rycote Baby Ball Gag? Specifically, the 25mm size? The MKH-50 is listed as having a 25mm shaft diameter, but I guess would be concerned with the switches on the mic, and that the mic is indented flat to accomadate the switches.

I don't actually own this mic, but am considering buying one; and would like to hear what people are doing for wind protection with this setup as I would like to use it both indoors and outdoors. I've hear that the Fat-Cat for handheld mics works with this indoors and on some outdoors, however, I'd like heavier duty wind protection.

I currently use BBG's, windjammers, for my T.H.E. hypercardioids and that's fine for the vast majority of outdoor stuff...though in extreme gusts you can definitely hear it, but that's fine with me. (I don't even use the windjammer most of the time outdoors for most light winds, as I find it muffles the sound).

I know K-Tek has "Softie" type wind protection for smaller mics like the MKH-50, that works even better than the Softie. I have one of these for my MKH-416 and it works wondefully.

However, since the primary use for the MKH-50 would be indoors with some outdoors, I like the BBG combination best with small hypers. The BBG is truly transparent sounding while providing moderate wind protection outdoors, and when it's gusty or raining you can just plop the matching windjammer on it. It's also reasonably priced too.

I really don't want to splurge for a full zeppelin set up for a small mic.

Thanks for any info.
Eugene Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2007, 12:56 AM   #2
Major Player

I have a pair of MKH-50. I use a small furry ball (can't remember what brand now) over the mic's opening - that leaves the switches in the clear. In light wind - it works. But, most of the time, for recording in concert halls and indoor locations, wind is NOT an issue - and that's where the MKH-50 are used.
TingSern Wong is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio