Ty, Matt, Steve, Marco, Carlos and all you other pro's: AT4073a or CK98? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old August 16th, 2007, 09:25 AM   #1
Major Player

Ty, Matt, Steve, Marco, Carlos and all you other pro's: AT4073a or CK98?

Hey guys,
I have around $500 to spend on a mic to use for outside dialog. By researching this site, I find the At4073a mentioned quite a bit. I also own the CK93 (for inside) so I also could buy another AKG capsule - the ck98 shotgun.

But my preference is quality over convenience. Any preferences or thoughts:
At4073a versus the ck98 for booming outside dialog, for narrative long form projects. (and if you have something else in mind - please...)

Thanks,
Lonnie

Last edited by Lonnie Bell; August 16th, 2007 at 10:08 AM.
Lonnie Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2007, 10:09 AM   #2
Major Player

hey guys, i thought my original question got buried below other posts, so i rephrased and reposted...

sorry for the duplication, but i was needing some quick responses - project is coming up!

thanks,
Lonnie
ps...my caption should have also read: and Jay and Douglas, too...!
Old August 17th, 2007, 07:04 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonnie Bell View Post
Hey guys,
I have around $500 to spend on a mic to use for outside dialog. By researching this site, I find the At4073a mentioned quite a bit. I also own the CK93 (for inside) so I also could buy another AKG capsule - the ck98 shotgun.

But my preference is quality over convenience. Any preferences or thoughts:
At4073a versus the ck98 for booming outside dialog, for narrative long form projects. (and if you have something else in mind - please...)

Thanks,
Lonnie
Hello Lonnie,

Outside where? If you are on a hard surfaced area with lots of ambient noise you don't want in your dialog, you probably don't want a shotgun, you want a hypercardioid.

There are too many mics clustered around that price point. The 4073a is a very sensitive mic, lots of level. I don't know the ck98 that well. I try not to go below a 416 in the Sennhieser line.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2007, 03:44 PM   #4
Major Player

I have the flip side experience from Ty. Not much with the 4073a, but I use the AKG Blue Lines as second tier mics in my kit. The CK98 behaves like a long-gun microphone. It has a tight polar pattern and strong rejection of noise from the side. I've had very good luck with it in exterior locations. Be aware that it is a physically long capsule, which may be an issue if you are planning to reuse a windscreen.

Having said all that, I find that I use a hyper-cardiod for many exterior shots, especially if it's tight enough to get close to the actor. Unless there is directional noise of some kind to deal with (and few reflective surfaces), you might find that your CK93 will work just fine.
Ralph Keyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2007, 10:02 PM   #5
Major Player

thank you guys - especially for the hypercardoid reinforcement - Ralph...

And that is a thought about the ck98 being long - i would have to get an extension on the Rycote, and a larger furry... I'll have to weigh this...

As far as matching, should i worry about a CK93 recording indoors, then an AT4073 recording out, if it's for use within the same project?

...and on that note, should i start to build a collection of mics that remains within the same brand or is that not really an issue?

Thanks all,
Lonnie
Old August 18th, 2007, 08:35 AM   #6
Inner Circle

I think cosistency of sound is important. The KMR 81/82 Neumann shotguns have more in common with the Schoeps, soundwise, than a 416 does.

If you have good ears and monitors and spend some time in post EQing, you'll be OK, but life is easier the more you match mics.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2007, 11:02 AM   #7
Major Player

your sound advice is heard... :)
Lonnie Bell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio