Options: Wireless Lav or Sync in post? at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old August 19th, 2007, 11:58 AM   #1
Major Player
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 773
Options: Wireless Lav or Sync in post?

I have a Olympus WS-300M voice recorder that I use in my reporting.

On the other hand, is the audio quality I'd get from a wireless lav worth the money? (I suppose I could still use the WS300M as a backup.)

And if so, what wireless lav would you recommend? (Is there a wireless lav system where you can plug in a wired lav mic into a wireless box - if one part breaks on me, I want to be able to use the other parts for the rest of the shoot.)

-- Brian.
Brian Boyko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2007, 01:03 PM   #2
Fred Retread
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Hartford, CT
Posts: 1,227
Audio quality depends on a chain of things; eg. mic placement, mic quality, preamp quality, recorder quality.

But I'd guess with a high degree of confidence that most wireless sets sold for video, with its properly placed stock lav recording into the camcorder would outperform that particular recorder with its properly placed optional lav.

And yes with a little research you could cobble together a kit that would work as you asked.
__________________
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence..." - Calvin Coolidge
"My brain is wired to want to know how other things are wired." - Me
David Ennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2007, 01:22 AM   #3
Major Player
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 773
I'm picking up a $150 wireless kit tomorrow along with the Canon HV20 - yeah, I know, it's not a pro camera, but for a consumer camera, it's nothing to sneeze at. Now I just need an omni lapel mic for $50 or less. Maybe used?
Brian Boyko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2007, 05:32 AM   #4
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 5,742
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyko View Post
I'm picking up a $150 wireless kit tomorrow along with the Canon HV20 - yeah, I know, it's not a pro camera, but for a consumer camera, it's nothing to sneeze at. Now I just need an omni lapel mic for $50 or less. Maybe used?
Your wireless kit doesn't come with a lav mic??? You didn't say what wireless you're getting but whatever it is, for <$50 you're not likely to find anything better than the kit's stock mic.
__________________
Good news, Cousins! This week's chocolate ration is 15 grams!
Steve House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2007, 11:21 AM   #5
Major Player
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve House View Post
Your wireless kit doesn't come with a lav mic??? You didn't say what wireless you're getting but whatever it is, for <$50 you're not likely to find anything better than the kit's stock mic.
No stock mic, no.
Brian Boyko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2007, 11:41 AM   #6
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 5,742
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyko View Post
No stock mic, no.
Well, you might check out Giant Squid - they seem to find favour with the wedding videographers to use with their pocket recorders and are supposedly fairly decent though I can't claim any personal experience with them. Your "under $50" criteria really eliminates almost all the market. It might help if we knew what brand of wireless you're getting.
__________________
Good news, Cousins! This week's chocolate ration is 15 grams!
Steve House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2007, 11:45 AM   #7
Major Player
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyko View Post
No stock mic, no.
Actually, correction. It -may- come with a stock mic but I simply don't know. The $150 set DOES come with a mixer, but I'll need two mics for that. That I'm interested in getting because that'll allow me to capture my interview questions on the microphone as well.
Brian Boyko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2007, 11:48 AM   #8
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 5,742
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyko View Post
Actually, correction. It -may- come with a stock mic but I simply don't know. The $150 set DOES come with a mixer, but I'll need two mics for that. That I'm interested in getting because that'll allow me to capture my interview questions on the microphone as well.

$150 for a wireless transmitter/receiver pair AND a mixer ?!?!?!?!
__________________
Good news, Cousins! This week's chocolate ration is 15 grams!
Steve House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2007, 11:54 AM   #9
Major Player
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve House View Post
$150 for a wireless transmitter/receiver pair AND a mixer ?!?!?!?!
My budget is $7000. Total. That's including everything, including room and board for 5 weeks while I shoot, airfare, etc. I know y'all are serious about this stuff, but some of us have to start out on the kiddie violin before moving up to the Stradavarius.

I'm going to pick up two of the Audio Technica ATR-35S Lavalier microphones from Amazon.com - I've heard they're good, but I can also justify using them for work as well.

You think that's mad, my diffuser light is a $20 pie-plate work light with a $7 150W flourescent bulb (to reduce heat) covered with a t-shirt attached via a rubber band, and my reflector is a piece of insulation! :)
Brian Boyko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2007, 12:10 PM   #10
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 5,742
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyko View Post
My budget is $7000. Total. That's including everything, including room and board for 5 weeks while I shoot, airfare, etc. I know y'all are serious about this stuff, but some of us have to start out on the kiddie violin before moving up to the Stradavarius.

I'm going to pick up two of the Audio Technica ATR-35S Lavalier microphones from Amazon.com - I've heard they're good, but I can also justify using them for work as well.

You think that's mad, my diffuser light is a $20 pie-plate work light with a $7 150W flourescent bulb (to reduce heat) covered with a t-shirt attached via a rubber band, and my reflector is a piece of insulation! :)

I don't think it's mad to save money, far from it. But there are lower limits below which a "bargain" is actually the more expensive option in the long run. When on a tight budget one should go with the least expensive option that actually does the required job properly - cheaper priced gear that isn't up to the job means 100% of its purchase price is wasted.

But I was commenting more because I was wondering just what system you were getting. You need to make sure that the mics you're considering actually work with your system and you still haven't said what make and model wireless you're buying so the rest of us have enough info to actually advise you what mics might work with it.
__________________
Good news, Cousins! This week's chocolate ration is 15 grams!
Steve House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2007, 06:20 PM   #11
Major Player
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 773
It is a Sony WCS-999, and it does look like it comes with a mic. I'll use the included as a spare, I think, and get an Audio Technica ATR-35S. It does NOT include a mixer (I was mistaken before.)
Brian Boyko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2007, 05:25 AM   #12
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 5,742
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyko View Post
It is a Sony WCS-999, and it does look like it comes with a mic. I'll use the included as a spare, I think, and get an Audio Technica ATR-35S. It does NOT include a mixer (I was mistaken before.)
Well, the ATR mic looks like it can be used with that wireless but it's going to be a bit inconvenient as according to the Audio Technica site, that mic has a 20 foot cable that is hard-wired to it. Unless you coil it up and hide it on the talent some way you'll have to shorten the cod and re-attach the plug.

Is there some reason you feel the AT mics will be better than the Sony included with the kit?
__________________
Good news, Cousins! This week's chocolate ration is 15 grams!

Last edited by Steve House; August 21st, 2007 at 05:56 AM.
Steve House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2007, 06:50 PM   #13
Major Player
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve House View Post
Well, the ATR mic looks like it can be used with that wireless but it's going to be a bit inconvenient as according to the Audio Technica site, that mic has a 20 foot cable that is hard-wired to it. Unless you coil it up and hide it on the talent some way you'll have to shorten the cod and re-attach the plug.

Is there some reason you feel the AT mics will be better than the Sony included with the kit?
Better? No, but I like having one around because A) I'll need a spare if the Sony mic goes bad. I'll need a long-wired microphone of the Sony transmitter goes bad.
Brian Boyko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2007, 04:42 PM   #14
Major Player
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 773
I've been testing out the Sony mic. Now, I think the sound levels were off (the talent didn't get the concept that when you're wearing a lav, you do not need to "project.") but I still picked up quite a bit of static. It's not going to do the job - I'll see if I can return it for store credit.

The worst case scenario is that I shoot with a shotgun and a wired lav (picking up two AT-35s.) The lavs are meant for sit-down interviews - I'm sure the 20' cable should be able to reach that far, but I wanted the wireless in case the subjects wanted to walk around the room.

-- Brian.
Brian Boyko is offline   Reply
Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 



Google
 

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:49 AM.


DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2017 The Digital Video Information Network