you have helped me narrow it down to a shotgun: Sanken CS-1 or mkh416? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old August 19th, 2007, 04:51 PM   #1
Major Player

you have helped me narrow it down to a shotgun: Sanken CS-1 or mkh416?

Hi,
It's time to add a shotgun to my arsenal. I have a decent hypercardoid (akg ck93 - and will eventually look at the cmc641 when i can afford it), but am presently looking for that longer reach item - thus a shotgun. Probably will use it mostly outdoors and always on a boom (probably in a blimp) in a variety of conditions or at least when a hyper is not appropriate...

and at the same $700-$800 that puts me at a Sanken CS-1 or a used Senny mkh416...

what would you pros recommend?

thanks,
Lonnie
Lonnie Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2007, 04:16 AM   #2
Regular Crew

The CS-3e has a great reputation and would be my mic of choice if I were buying today. I'd have to do more research on the CS-1 (which I guess is what you're doing) but "blind" I'd go for a 416, and probably a second-hand one at that.

From Microphone Data:
"The CS-1 is a short rifle microphone intended for film and TV but likely to find uses elsewhere too. The microphone is exceptionally short and light while retaining high directivity that is remarkably consistent - greater than 20dB front-to-back ratio across almost the entire frequency response. The CS-1 is small enough to fit onto ENG cameras but can also act as a high-quality boom microphone. The capsule is a Sanken original using a square diaphragm DC biased condenser design which can sustain SPLs as high as 137dB with only 1% distortion."
Mike Peter Reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2007, 04:11 PM   #3
Inner Circle

cs-3e

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2007, 11:32 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I agree...

With Ty. Doing a huge mic article/review/test right now and the Sankens are emerging as an early front runner. Although those Schoeps are sweet but double your budget.

Dan
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2007, 04:37 AM   #5
Major Player

Also look around at the used market. I was able to pick up a nice Neumann KMR-82i that was gently used (OK, not as gently used as I wanted, but it was from a rental house that was going out of business) in this price range, and shotgun mics do show up from time to time on the market.

Wayne
Wayne Brissette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2007, 12:33 AM   #6
Major Player

Alright guys...
If I extend my budget to the price of the CS-3e, that also puts us in the same price bracket as an MKH60.

So which is it MKH60 or CS-3e for an all around exterior location mic with reach?
Old August 22nd, 2007, 01:41 AM   #7
Regular Crew

CS-3e in my book
Mike Peter Reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2007, 11:57 AM   #8
Major Player

I got a used, but pristine 416 for €400. If you buy from a soundguy who knows how to treat his/her equipment, you'll find them in pretty good state for that price.

Steven
Steven Fokkinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2007, 01:05 PM   #9
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonnie Bell View Post
Alright guys...
If I extend my budget to the price of the CS-3e, that also puts us in the same price bracket as an MKH60.

So which is it MKH60 or CS-3e for an all around exterior location mic with reach?
is anyone willing to elaborate on why the CS-3e wins out over the mkh-60? i've been eyeing the mkh-60 but have really not had good luck finding much info about it. lots of folks seems to say "not as good as the mkh416" or "not as good as sanken" but i really can't get a handle on why this is the prevailing wisdom....

dan, when/where will you be posting your findings?
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2007, 04:58 PM   #10
Trustee

I really really really dislike 416's. they are thin and cold sounding. the mkh60 was the replacement for the 416. I got to hear some side by side comparisons and the 416 was the worst sounding one of the bunch. sankens are nice, shoeps better.
Steve Oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2007, 07:16 PM   #11
Inner Circle

With all due respect, if you think 416s are thin and cold, something is wrong with the particular 416s you have been exposed to .

The 416 has quite a bottom boost. I normally roll it off just to get it out of the way. The MKH 60 OTOH, to me and others, while obviously quieter, sounds very sterile.

More reviews in the Article Archive on my website.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Old August 28th, 2007, 07:58 PM   #12
Trustee

I'd have to say about a dozen or more 416's. rentals, personal gear of audio guy, ect. A few months ago a side by side with several other shotguns. In that particular side by side, the 416 was the least pleasing and consistant with other times I've used them. 60 had more bottom in that one, and warmer sounding.
Steve Oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2007, 11:12 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Um, rentals, that may answer the question. What mixer(s)?

It would be interesting to confer with the guys over on ramps about your reaction.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Old August 29th, 2007, 01:32 PM   #14
Major Player

ramps? what is ramps - another reference site?

googled "ramps" to no avail... what's ramps?
Old August 29th, 2007, 01:38 PM   #15
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonnie Bell View Post
ramps? what is ramps - another reference site?

googled "ramps" to no avail... what's ramps?
A Usenet newsgroup where a lot of film industry and broadcast sound folks hang out - rec.arts.movies.production.sound

A lot of good info to be found in rec.audio.pro as well.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio