Sony V1 Sound Quality at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old August 22nd, 2007, 12:48 PM   #1
Major Player

Sony V1 Sound Quality

Greetings all,

I have been using a Sony HDV1 recently and trying to sort out the sound for the owners/operators of this camera and would appreciate an expert opinion of the quality of the audio inputs.

I am a professional and my opinion is that there is a lot of buzzing coming out of the headphone socket and it appears to be on the recorded audio as well. Unfortunatly the edit suite also neds my attention due to the P.C. onboard sound card being extremely noisey, (cpu interferance etc..), and so listening back to the captured audio is not telling me much.

I have read a few threads which seem to say that the sound quality is good on this camera but these opinions are as far as I can tell not expert. I really require the opinions only of people who know audio.
We are considering trying to get the camera exchanged as working with a hard disc audio recorder is not desirable for these folks and should not be necessary, but it would seem the only option.
I am not expecting the audio quality to match a Fostex FR2 but I would expect it to be useable and broadcastable.

We are of course recording at 16bit 48k etc. Tried mic and line level inputs , manual gain, phantom off, SQN mixer, MKH 60, Shoeps CCM 41, NR off, Wind filter off. As said this is not a front end mixer problem. It is the camera.

If anyone is a sound expert and can give me their opinion of the audio quality of the Sony HDV1's inputs I would much appreciate it. Thanks.
Jimmy Tuffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2007, 02:06 PM   #2
Inner Circle

27 years in professional broadcast and corporate markets sound for video experience.

I don't know about your V1, but mine is just fine for typical interviews & etc.

I've not heard a buzz at all out of the headphone socket. I'd suggest you check your mics & cables. If no issues there, it's certainly possible that there is something wrong with your camera - it happens.

You'll probably know a lot more when you get your editing station sound straightened out.

You might search the posts of Douglas Spotted Eagle, he is a Grammy-winning musician and producer and knows his sound engineering very well. He's a moderator (wrangler) on these boards, and owns several V1s.
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2007, 05:23 PM   #3
Major Player

Might have to return it then....

Must be something wrong with the camera they have then. It is not cables etc...
Old August 25th, 2007, 05:41 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Hi Jimmy..........

Not sure what connectors there are for audio on the HDV1 so answering this blind - best test, if you have the camera to hand, is to short the mic I/P terminals to the audio section. This thus eliminates any external interference from the equation. If you're getting noise out of the camera with definately nothing going in - that's final - it's the camera.

(Don't know if that cam has it, but if it has phantom, obviously, turn it off for this excercise.)

The same trick works with anything BTW - a passive I/P shorted is the quickest way to eliminate externals from the equation. Then you work back up the "food chain" to catch the culprit.

I used to be a "demented back room techie" in a previous incarnation. Now I'm just plain demented!

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2007, 12:41 PM   #5
Major Player

Thanks for the replys

Good point. I know what you mean. I think it must be the camera but I am still waiting to get a chance to check it. That was why I was interested in opinions. Some of these cameras seem to have a reputation for sounding bad, especially Sonys. I know that it's not my sound bag that is at fault. I wondered at first if I was asking too much of the camera to sound O.K. what with the PD150 being notorious for it's bad sound, but am coming round to thinking that there must be a problem with it.
Thanks for the replys.
Old July 27th, 2009, 06:16 AM   #6
Regular Crew

A couple of years later but I thought it might be useful for people who find this thread via google. In my experience with the V1 mic NR should almost always be on. It does a pretty good job of cancelling out the noise of the tape mechanism which is otherwise often audible.

Last edited by Ben Denham; July 27th, 2009 at 06:20 AM. Reason: adding context
Ben Denham is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio