Performance of Rode DeadCat vs. Rycote WindJammer. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old August 23rd, 2007, 02:21 AM   #1
New Boot

Performance of Rode DeadCat vs. Rycote WindJammer.

Hi all!

So, I have a Rode NTG-1 that I'm going to be using a lot outside, boom-mounted and hand held, on location in Tokyo over the next year.

I am looking into getting it a fur coat to cut down on wind noise and (after searching the forums here) four options have risen to mind:

1 ) Make a furry windscreen (to slip over the foam that came with the microphone).
2 ) Buy a Rode DeadCat. (About $40.)
3 ) Buy a Rycote Mini WindJammer. (About $40.)
4 ) Buy a Rycote WindJammer. (At least $125.)

I'm wondering how each of these performs in terms of wind rejection and audio coloration.

I've read that the WindJammer can handle winds strong enough to cause tree branches to whip around. If that's so, I suppose the DeadCat and Mini WindJammer can handle breezes strong enough to move tree limbs about, but not enough to make them whip back and forth like just before a thunderstorm.

On that note, are the DeadCat and Mini WindJammer essentially substitutes for one another--competing in the same product class? What are their similarities and weaknesses?

As for the home-made option: what makes an ideal fur for reducing noise from wind?

I understand having air space between the fabric's backing and the microphone itself is key. Using the foam gag that comes with the mic is a suitable means to simulating the air of a zepplin, but at the cost of losing some high end. (Do I have this right?) The density of the fur and pore-size of the backing effecting sound colorization and overall attenuation--with larger pores equating to less colorization, right?

Length of the fur and density together determine the maximum velocity of wind against which the home-made fuzzy can protect, right?

So many questions, so little time.

--Luke
Luke Stoneburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2007, 04:56 AM   #2
Major Player

I have a Deadcat that is okay as long as it isn't very windy. I now use a Windjammer and have yet to hear any noise through it. For critical sound (interviews etc) I use a full rycote Zeplin. I also have a high wind sock which fits over the plastic case of the Zeplin but under the fur (don't know the name) but I've never needed to use it.

Get the best you can afford. A Deadcat alone isn't good enough in a strong breeze.
Mike Marriage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2007, 11:08 AM   #3
New Boot

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your reply.

When you use the WindJammer, does it inevitably get used over the zepplin or is it used more often than not over the foam gag that came with your microphone (for non, sound-critical interviews)?

Your statement that you are yet to hear noise through one makes me very keen on getting a WindJammer, but I can't afford a zepplin. So, I'm wondering if the difference between a DeadCat/Mini WindJammer and a zepplin-less WinJammer is worth the extra expense.

Regards,

Luke
Luke Stoneburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2007, 10:50 PM   #4
New Boot

Check out this:

http://www.rycote.com/products/winds...resNov2005.pdf

I finally found it on Rycote's website. It looks like a Softie is effectively an affordable alternative to a WindShield sans WindJammer--both the softie and WindShield with no fur are supposed to provide approximately the same wind-noise reduction.

Still, I wonder how a WindJammer plus the foam gag that comes with the Rode NTG-1 would perform.

--Luke
Luke Stoneburner is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio