sony UWP- and boom? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old August 26th, 2007, 10:27 AM   #1
Major Player

sony UWP- and boom?

Curious after reading a few threads comparing the sony and sennheiser I am leaning toward the sony UWP-C1 (66) or UWP_C1 (62) but other than having them connected to a lav I was wanting to at times connect one transmitter to a rode NTG-2 is that possible? do I need adapters? The sennheiser had a module for mics but the sony does not seem to, but if one plugs in thta may not be needed.
Stephen Eastwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2007, 10:35 AM   #2
Major Player

Next question it looks like this only has mini plugs out I would have to get xlr adapters for an XHA1 and XLH1 but should the fact that its not xlr be a problem? or defeat the point of having xlr in the firstplace?
Stephen Eastwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2007, 10:39 AM   #3
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Eastwood View Post
Next question it looks like this only has mini plugs out I would have to get xlr adapters for an XHA1 and XLH1 but should the fact that its not xlr be a problem? or defeat the point of having xlr in the firstplace?
Comes with a mini to xlr cable as well as a mini to mini for feeding different cameras. Also comes with a receiver holder that mounts to a camera shoe.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2007, 03:46 PM   #4
Inner Circle

The Sony UWP mini plugs have screw locks on the covers to stop 'em being jerked out. I have a rig with a cable I made up, female XLR > UWP mini plug. So the UWP transmitter now takes any mic., that has XLR out. No 48V phantom power however.
Allan Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2007, 04:59 PM   #5
Major Player

Been using both recently

Hi I've ben using both recently and would say that the sennheiser G2 would be better if it was diversity. However as things stand the Sony seems the better kit to me.
The Sennheiser seems to suffer more interferance such as high pitched ticks, kinda like static electricity noises which I have experienced before the unit is out of range.
The sony does not exactly have a good compander circuit and I feel that the Sennheiser sounds better in this regard. I have been using it with a MKE 2.4 gold as opposed to the Sony with an ECM77. Personally I feel that the MKE 2.4 is a better mic than the ECM77.
I know that the EW100 G2 Senn comes with a ME2 mic and that is very second rate as lav mic's go. The cable breaks easy too, especialy at the moulded mini jack end.
I bought the Sony secondhand with a 4pin hirose and ECM77 but am not sure if this is standard as I've seen them advertised with a ECM 44 and mini jack. Don't know how that compares to the ME2. Have one somewhere and will try it out with the Senn and compare it to the ME2.
To conclude, I would say that it is a great shame that the Senn EW100 or 112 G2 is not diversity as they are good kits. I have used them with the rackmount receivers which are diversity and with a decent mic attached they perform very well. Countrymans or MKE2.4's for instance both worked well.
Jimmy Tuffrey is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio