Can someone explain this Edirol R-4 Pro timecode puzzle to me? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old August 28th, 2007, 10:08 AM   #1
Major Player

Can someone explain this Edirol R-4 Pro timecode puzzle to me?

On a recent posting on gearslutz, someone gives a very detailed review of the Edirol R-4 Pro. He does the usual picks and pans (a lot of pans), but then has this comment, which I found disturbing:

Fatal Error
SMPTE time code has the usual settings but lacks perhaps one of the most important formats. There is no setting for 23.97 fps which is used in high definition video.

BUT, wait, there's more. On the Edirol site, you see this:

When the Moving Pictures team needs to record high quality audio in combination with HD video, they chose the EDIROL R-4 Pro. Moving Pictures uses the R-4 Pro in combination with the JVC GY-HD250U video camera. The two make an ideal pairing because the R-4 Pro syncs up to the HD camera with the SMPTE time code allowing the crew to capture audio at 23.97 frames per second.

So, is it apparently the case that the R-4 Pro doesn't GENERATE 23.97 fps, but that it will LOCK ONTO a 23.97 fps signal if the camera outputs a 23.97 fps signal?

This is all very puzzling. I'm wondering if timecode is even worth the trouble. Perhaps a clapboard is just as good. . .

Alas. . .

Stephen
Stephen Pruitt is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio