DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   How do I edit out clipping and distortion? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/102375-how-do-i-edit-out-clipping-distortion.html)

Damon Gaskin August 28th, 2007 06:48 PM

How do I edit out clipping and distortion?

I am simply wondering how to quickly edit(if possible) out hot audio and clipping? I normally don't run into this problem as I either listen to my audio as I am videoing or have the cam set to auto with the external mic for simplicity. In this instance I forgot to go from manual to auto and got a bit of footage with pretty bad distortion and clipping. I have Adobe Audition and Soundbooth, but since audio is my weakspot, I am asking for advise on possible filters that would minimize or eliminate(fat chance on this one) the clipping and distortion.

I will post a clip on youtube and post the link for any advise that can be given..

Thanks

Douglas Spotted Eagle August 28th, 2007 06:59 PM

Youtube won't likely help much due to the drastic compression.
How bad is it? If it's brickwalled, you can't do much. Sony and WAVES both have clipped wave restoration, but they're essentially only rounding off the square waves and tuning the harmonics of the clipped signal.
If it's horribly truncated, it can't be restored to any listenable level.
How bad is "pretty bad?"

Damon Gaskin August 28th, 2007 07:53 PM

Hi Douglas!

It's pretty bad to be honest. You can sort of tell on the Youtube clip below! It's basically flatlined for the majority of the clip. I can't believe how I left it like this. It is the clip below that I really want to incorporate into the disc as I really like this flight and it looks awesome on the full screen. I probably will only be doing the disc for myself and a friend, but someone may ask for a copy and I really don't want to give someone something sounding like this(I really don't want to even share this clip, but if I don't how will I learn more). But then again, beggars can't be choosey! LOL

I don't know if you will be able to tell from the link but here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrPOQ_S37iI

And thanks for the help! By the way, I have your VASST 3D Cool disc! It's awesome!

Martin Pauly August 29th, 2007 09:09 AM

Damon,

wow, that is some really good aerobatics you captured!

As for the sound, I couldn't tell if you are concerned about the music or just the spoken words. The music sounds bad, too, but I couldn't tell if it was due to YouTube's compression or part of the clipping problem you mentioned.

I don't know how you might be able to save the spoken words - the clipping is just too severe. The good news is that there's only a few seconds here or there, mostly you have just music. If it was my project, I would focus on making the music sound great and use the rest as it was a radio transmission - not too far fetched given the aviation theme of the video - and that way it might appear like you inteneded to make it sound the way it does. Maybe add a little static noise before and after the "transmissions".

- Martin

Damon Gaskin August 29th, 2007 09:34 AM

Hi Martin!

Yes, he was really good and that is why I want to keep the audio. I also did pretty well I think in tracking not only his flight but the other pilots, which will keep my editing to a minimum. I really, because the music was the main focus of the flight am worried about the music, but with the wonder of editing, now that you mention your suggestion, I really can work around that I think.

But that is a good suggestion and one that I had teetered on myself, but if there was a way, I just figured I would try. But I think I will try and just drop the music on and simply slice the original audio, doing what you suggest and just slice the commentary in there as I can on a second audio track.

Thanks for replying and the great suggestion!

D