DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Need Audio Set-up help (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/102449-need-audio-set-up-help.html)

Glenn Davidson August 29th, 2007 07:17 PM

Need Audio Set-up help

I am helping a long time client improve the quality of her recordings. The recording is live 'guided meditations' and some class discussion.

We are now using a Tascam HD-P2 and a Shure Beta-58. I have noticed that going direct to the Tascam is a little noiser than I would like. I was thinking of adding a Sound Devices Mix-Pre to the front end. I hope that this would give us better S/N and also allow us to mix in a room microphone for class discussion. My questions are:

What would be a good microphone for recording the discussion in a class of 40 students? Some kind of Hyper? Budget up to 500 dollars for the microphone is probably OK, less is better.

Any other suggestions besides the MixPre?

Thanks for any assistance.

Allan Black August 29th, 2007 07:55 PM

Is this an audio or a video job Glenn? I'd put a good UHF wireless mic on her, like a Sony UWP. Rent one first and try different positions for the mic., she can move around and flail the odd ones too. Sorry.

40 is a big meditation class, the 58 on a long cable for the low talkers sounds right, also helps avoid everyone speaking together which is hard to cover; edit out the 'passing the mic' pause.

Keep the lady on one track and the discussion on another and post mix.

Maybe suggest she reduce the class to the most suitable.

Glenn Davidson August 29th, 2007 08:19 PM

Thanks for the response. This is an audio only project. I like the idea of separating the two mics into two channels. I need to check the spec on the Mix-Pre to make sure it can pan L and R on output.

Right now we are using the Beta 58 for her mic. Then at some point they switch to class discussion, and she would mix in the second microphone for class discussion. I don't think I want to have them pass around a mic, so I thought it would be best with some sort of directional mic pointed towards the class. The class discussion is secondary to the meditation part, so if it is a little distant sounding, that would be OK. We need to make an edited mixed product out of the meditation part, so quality of that is very important.

I am trying to specify a simple system that she can set-up by herself. My concern is that to really do this right, the system becomes too complex and I would need to be there.

Right now she is setting up the Tascam and mic by herself. Is is too much to have her incorporate the MixPre and directional microphone? It is a week long class in New York and I am in California, so the expense of hiring me to be there may be prohibitive.

Please feel free to continue to throw any ideas at me. Thanks

Glenn Davidson August 30th, 2007 01:39 AM

Well, I see that the MixPre can assign inputs to Left Center or Right channel. I am thinking now that a cardiod pattern would be best for a single room microphone to pick up questions from the class. Anyone have a specific suggestion for mic?