Zoom H2 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old September 26th, 2007, 04:52 PM   #16
Fred Retread

oops, you're right, I forgot to allow for left and right.
Old September 26th, 2007, 06:14 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Any thoughts on whether the the Zoom H2 would be better for recording pipe organ music, or a choir or other similar concert than a Rode Stereo Video mic with a Vx2000? Syncing won't be an issue

Thanks

Curt
Curt Talbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2007, 07:41 PM   #18
Fred Retread

The Zoom H2 would be the easy choice for a pipe organ or a choir if they were to be placed reasonably close to the source. The spatial texture of those sources really matters, and a stereo mic will capture that better. As the distance increases to (and beyond) the point where the left and right qualities of the source are lost, then the stereo pickup will accentuate echoes and side noise. Then I'd tend to favor the VideoMic. Outdoors in the distant situation I'd go straight to the VideoMic and leave the H2 in the bag. Indoors, I'd listen to both before choosing because the acoustics would color both.
Old September 27th, 2007, 05:37 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Nice little review of the Zoom H2 at O'Reilly: Zoom H2 Handheld Surround Recorder
Old September 28th, 2007, 04:38 AM   #20
Major Player

I've thoroughly enjoyed using my new H2. I use it mainly as a portable voice mic for voice overs. The internal mics sound quite good and the USB link keeps noise to near zero, even on my laptop. Very impressive sound, especially when hooked directly to USB and run straight into project software. The sound is only slightly less crisp than with my much more expensive diaphram mic. Given the USB hookup, it may have less noise than the traditional mic with a preamp going into a sound card. I can use my laptop in the field or hotel room, put the H2 on its stand in front of the keyboard (using the 90 degree front mic) and make a lot of hay on the fly.

I also use the H2 with AT35 lavalier mics for interviews and am experimenting with using one channel with an AT88W wireless while the other channel using the lavalier. Nothing a few adapters can't fix!

Very light, simple to use, and cheap. I'm very pleased with my $200 investment.
Roger Shealy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2007, 07:59 AM   #21
Inner Circle

Question for all of the owners. Is this a device that you couple place, let's say 4 to 5 feet from vows and such and expect decent recording, or for vows, would you always have to do a mic/line in? The reason I ask is, I could see a situation where I wouldn't be able to get a mic on a speaker, a minister etc. Thanks for any information.
Old September 28th, 2007, 03:08 PM   #22
Fred Retread

I would say no, that you wouldn't get what most of us would call decent vows audio from the H2's internal mics at 4-5 feet in most wedding ceremony venues. Too much airiness and room sound. In a small room with lots of upholstery, carpeting and drapes it would probably be okay. Otherwise, a stand mounted hypercardioid or even a shotgun at that distance would be better.
Old September 29th, 2007, 10:16 AM   #23
Trustee

Actually if I was to use teh H2 for vows at a wedding, then I would use a lav mic (plugged into mic port, with mic power on in menu) and just place the H2 on a grooms or officiants hp (like wireless transmitter) or in the pocket.

At a wedding the H2 would work very well for recording musicians or readings if needed at a ceremony with the built in mics.
Old September 29th, 2007, 12:18 PM   #24
Fred Retread

I considered that, but dismissed it as too bulky for a dressed-to-kill situation. Doable, though, and yes, some venues would object to setting up a mic on a stand.
Old September 30th, 2007, 07:53 AM   #25
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Ennis View Post
I considered that, but dismissed it as too bulky for a dressed-to-kill situation. Doable, though, and yes, some venues would object to setting up a mic on a stand.
Actually it's not much bigger than the Edirol R09. I have used both on a groom or officant.
I have placed in a coat pocket, or even better attached it to the waistband, just like a wireless transmitter.
Old October 1st, 2007, 11:43 AM   #26
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Ennis View Post
It does have exactly the same synch issues, i.e., it the clock runs about 0.01% fast, yielding an audio track that lags the cam's video track by 10-12 frames per hour.
But that is only an issue if you do a continuous recording. If I should use it to record the audio of scenes in a movie (with a duration of a couple of minutes max) than this would not be a problem, right?
Andre Theelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2007, 01:17 PM   #27
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre Theelen View Post
But that is only an issue if you do a continuous recording. If I should use it to record the audio of scenes in a movie (with a duration of a couple of minutes max) than this would not be a problem, right?
Maybe yes, maybe no. I can't say about the H2 because I don't have one but one of the problems with clocks in inexpensive consumer devices is they're inconsistent and can vary with temperature etc. It would probably be fine but it's impossible to say for certain.
Old October 1st, 2007, 02:36 PM   #28
Regular Crew

The sync offset on my Zoom H4 is 300ms slower after 1 hr. That's 30ms after 6 mins or 10ms after 2 mins. I don't know what the perceptibility sync offsets on speech are (they're different for leading & trailing situations) but I know 20 ms should be fine. And it would be difficult for thermal drift to cause a problem over such a short timeframe.

Besides, syncing is straight-forward to fix in an audio editor or NLE. I've used Sharp & Sony MDs for 5 years, and now a H4 as well, and it's a minor consideration. Most of my stuff is long-duration: sermons & conference sessions. A few months ago I produced 10 session DVDs. 9 of the 10 were over an hour. All were using a PA feed to Hi-MD as the primary sound source with a Rode SVM on one of the cameras providing ambiance and audience response. The only time I've had to work harder with it was correcting non-linear sync offsets caused by some random miss-tracking on a MD over a 75 min take.

Last edited by Dan Bridges; October 1st, 2007 at 09:52 PM.
Dan Bridges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2007, 05:40 PM   #29
Fred Retread

30 ms would be about one frame of video. That wouldn't be perceptible, certainly not to me, except maybe in a side by side comparing situation.
Old October 1st, 2007, 05:43 PM   #30
Fred Retread

Dan, do you get anywhere near the offset after an hour with the HiMD as you do with the H4? I don't with my Sony HiMD.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio