Multitrack recording - with or without a PC? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old September 10th, 2007, 08:44 AM   #16
Major Player

Quick update: I received all the equipment on Friday. I was pleasantly surprised that the HD24 now ships with an 80GB harddrive instead of the 10GB that they advertise. I still need to get rack rails/ears for the mixer to put everything into a rack, as Seth suggested, then it'll be complete!

So far everything looks (and sounds) great - I can't wait to try it out at the next real event!

- Martin
Old September 10th, 2007, 09:01 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pauly View Post
Interesting. I would have thought that Ethernet shouldn't be too far behind FireWire. Well, as it happens, Alesis has a promotion going on right now where they give you a free FireWire interface with any new HD24 purchase.
The Firewire interface definitely is a must. I don't know why Alesis put a 10BaseT Ethernet port in the HD24 when 100BaseT was available at the time, but they did.
John C. Plunkett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2007, 11:53 AM   #18
Major Player

I just wanted to tell you about my experience with the HD24 recorder and FX16 mixer, now that I have completed the first job with my new gear. It was a recording (video and audio) of a stand-up comedy show, recording six channels of audio (two from the stage and four from mics placed in the audience), and I just finished a 5.1 audio mix.

Everything worked great. There was noticably less hiss/noise in the recording compared with the Tascam FW-1082 FireWire mixer that I had used in the past, which speeds up the audio clean-up/processing quite a bit. As Seth had suggested, I mounted the recorder and mixer (plus a power conditioner) in a rack, so that the mixer and recorder can stay connected internally. Works great, with only two (minor) complaints: First, the mixer's connection panel can be rotated to be either on the back (i.e. outside of my rack) or bottom (i.e. inside the rack). I have chosen the former, which is ideal for the internal connections, while the latter allows easy access to plug in mics, outputs, etc. So it's a little tricky to connect anything to the mixer because the connectors are "hidden" inside the rack. Second, the whole thing is so heavy that I can barely carry it alone anymore. About half the weight is the rack itself. So while the setup time is much shorter now than what it used to be (FW-1082 and laptop), it's a two-person job to get everything in place.

I did submit the paperwork for the FireWire interface (free with purchase of a new HD24, due to a promotion) but am still waiting for that. However, the file transfer using Ethernet worked out alright. Yes, it took a while, but it's not like I need to sit next to it and wait for it to be done. I can see how that would be different in other recording scenarios, though, for example if multiple takes need to be recorded and loaded into the computer right away before work can continue.

All in all, this mixer/recorder combo has worked out great for me on its first big job. Thanks again to everyone who provided suggestions!

- Martin
Old February 4th, 2008, 01:42 PM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John C. Plunkett View Post
The Firewire interface definitely is a must. I don't know why Alesis put a 10BaseT Ethernet port in the HD24 when 100BaseT was available at the time, but they did.
I had long given up on the free FireWire interface - it had been nearly five months since I submitted the coupon - when all of a sudden, it arrived last week. It not just accelerates the transfer tremendously, it also hooks up directly to an individual hard drive, so there's no need for me anymore to physically move the entire HD24 unit (in the heavy rack that holds it along with a recording mixer) close to my computer.

I continue to be impressed with how well this setup works, how reliable it is, and how much cleaner the recordings are compared with my previous solution.

- Martin
Old February 4th, 2008, 01:52 PM   #20
Inner Circle

Martin, I'm very glad this has worked out so well for you. I just completed another project with my 16-channel setup, and very pleased once again with performance and fidelity.
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio