Which XLR adapter for NTG-2 > HV20? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old September 1st, 2007, 04:29 PM   #1
New Boot

Which XLR adapter for NTG-2 > HV20?

Which of these 2 adapters do I need for Rode NTG-2 (or any self-powered mic) to connect to Canon HV20?

Or do I need this thing with the transformer?
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...w_to_High.html

Last edited by Phil Shima; May 27th, 2008 at 05:11 PM.
Phil Shima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2007, 05:13 AM   #2
Inner Circle

The one on the left that sends XLR pin 2 to both the tip and ring of the 3.5mm plug. The other would give you the same signal to both left and right channel but they will be 180 degrees out of phase with each other. The transformer adapter would work but you don't need the impedance transform.
Old September 2nd, 2007, 05:27 AM   #3
Major Player

The top ( or left depending on the size of your browser window) adapter is your mono>bi-mono unbalanced connector. That's the one you need.

[edit] -- I've removed my incorrect answer on the right/bottom picture (I thought it was a balanced mono).

Wayne
Wayne Brissette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2007, 07:45 AM   #4
Fred Retread

A lot of people never ask, and wind up buying the one on the right. It will sound fine when monitoring with stereo headphones, will sound a bit thin coming out of stereo speakers, and will cancel to virtual silence at the input to a mono amplifier or speaker because of the 180° phase shift Steve mentioned.
Old September 2nd, 2007, 08:13 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Ennis View Post
A lot of people never ask, and wind up buying the one on the right. It will sound fine when monitoring with stereo headphones, will sound a bit thin coming out of stereo speakers, and will cancel to virtual silence at the input to a mono amplifier or speaker because of the 180° phase shift Steve mentioned.
And a lot people accidently get the right-hand version by getting "creative" with adapters. XLR->3.5mm TRS are hard to find at the local music store, especially ones wired properly to send a mono mic to both L&R channels in parallel for 'dual-mono.' So what they do is get an easily obtainable XLR->1/4 TRS intended to connect balanced XLR to balanced TRS and couple that with a 1/4->1/8 stereo adapter. The result is phase reversed dual-mono when plugged into a stereo input.
Old September 2nd, 2007, 10:15 AM   #6
New Boot

Thanks everyone -

I've read posts that recommended both of these, as they look alike externally. B&H describes both simply as XLR-to-mini adapters. Out of curiosity I went to the Hosa website to find out the difference between them.

I'm wondering why B&H bundles the MIT-156 low-to-high impedence transformer version with the NTG-2. What purpose does it serve?
Phil Shima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2007, 10:49 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Shima View Post
Thanks everyone -

I've read posts that recommended both of these, as they look alike externally. B&H describes both simply as XLR-to-mini adapters. Out of curiosity I went to the Hosa website to find out the difference between them.

I'm wondering why B&H bundles the MIT-156 low-to-high impedence transformer version with the NTG-2. What purpose does it serve?
Don't know about the transformer. The left-hand version iwth the 3.5mm tip and ring connected together to XLR pin 2 is the equivalent to Rode's own XLR to mini adapter/
Old September 2nd, 2007, 12:57 PM   #8
Fred Retread

Quote:
... they look alike externally. B&H describes both simply as XLR-to-mini adapters ...
Where does B&H describe the two different ones the same way? on this catalog page the third one down is the only correct one, and they clearly identify its purpose
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...arch&Q=*&bhs=t
Quote:
If you put an XLR cable run between the microphone and the adapter above, the whole run will be unbalanced. But with the transformer adapter, such a run will be balanced up to the adapter.

BTW, I strongly recommend that you get an angled mini plug adapter to protect your mic jack.
Old September 2nd, 2007, 03:25 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Thanks everyone -

Further...

A "Stereo" mic like the AT-822 referenced in the description of the Haso XVM249 uses an XLR connector to carry two unbalanced channels with the left channel signal on pin 2, the right channel signal on pin 3, and a common ground on pin 1. Connecting to a 3.5mm TRS wired as shown on the right above puts left on tip, right on ring. That's the same arrangment one would use for a balanced XLR to balanced TRS mono signal. They're both XLR to mini adapters but for XLR signal arrangements.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio