DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   RODE NTG-1 and NTG-2 specs question (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/102729-rode-ntg-1-ntg-2-specs-question.html)

Stephen Sobel September 3rd, 2007 08:55 AM

RODE NTG-1 and NTG-2 specs question

I'm considering either the RODE NTG-1 or the NTG-2 to use as an attached mic with an XH-A1 camcorder. Other than the NTG-2 being a bit longer and providing the option for battery power, I've found three other differences in the specs on the RODE site.

The NTG-1 has an output impedance of 50, which the NTG-2 is 250 on phantom power and 350 on battery power. The NTG-1 has a maximum SPL of 139 dB, while the NTG-2 is 131 dB. Finally, the NTG-1 has a dynamic range of 121 dB, while the NTG-2 has a dynamic range of 113 dB.

Can anyone tell me what, if anything, these differences mean in a practical real world use sense?

Ty Ford September 4th, 2007 04:33 PM

Not a lot. It means the NTG-2 will distort a bit before the NTG-1 in loud environments, but the NTG-2 can also be operated with or without phantom power.

If you have phantom power, get the NTG-1. If you don't, get the NTG-2.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Stephen Sobel September 4th, 2007 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ty Ford (Post 739258)
Not a lot. It means the NTG-2 will distort a bit before the NTG-1 in loud environments, but the NTG-2 can also be operated with or without phantom power.

If you have phantom power, get the NTG-1. If you don't, get the NTG-2.

Regards,

Ty Ford

I have (or will have, as soon as I get the XH-A1) phantom power. Is there any other difference besides the distortion? Do they both have similar range?

Also, I'm looking at the Rode SM-3 and SM-5 shockmounts for the XH-A1. Do you know if there is any noticeable difference between the two in terms of isolating (only somewhat, I assume) the mic from the noise of the camcorder?

Ty Ford September 4th, 2007 05:02 PM

hey are basically the same except for the powering schemes.

Don't know about those shockmounts, but camera mounting is always risking camera noise. Some cameras make more noise than others.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Max Todorov September 4th, 2007 05:03 PM

XH-A1 and Rode NTG2

Hi..

I have XH-A1 and NTG2.

1. For some reason it (mic) had issues when I tried using phantom power. Just did not work. (It was right when I got the camera and the mic, so the user error could have been an issue). So now I am always using the battery in the NTG2.(no phantom power)

2. It also allows me to use the NTG2 with my other projects... You can get an XLR to mini adapter and use the mic to capture sound directly into your PC if necessary. This way your dubbing is done on the same mic for consistency.

Things I do not like.

The NTG2 is not the same width as the mount on the XH-A1. The mount is much wider, so the mic does not "natively" fit on the camera. I usually use the boom anyway, but it was disappointing when i wanted to mount it to camera.

Ty Ford September 4th, 2007 05:15 PM

Some "phantom power" is 12 V. This will not power true phantom powered mics. Also, some batttery/phantom mics require that the battery be installed even if the mic is powered by phantom power.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Josh Laronge September 4th, 2007 05:21 PM

I have both the XH A1 and NTG-2 and I'm opposite of Max as I use the NTG-2 mostly on phantom power and it works great for me.

I'd suggest you buy the NTG-2 for the versatility. The 2 is only $20 more.