AT 1800 - two plug-in better than bodypack? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old September 6th, 2007, 02:07 AM   #1
Major Player

AT 1800 - two plug-in better than bodypack?

I'm going to buy the AT 1800 but tell me if there's a flaw in my logic. I think it'd be more versatile to get two plug-in transmitter. There are times when I need lav and handheld. Should I need a lav, I can get a regular XLR lav and pouches with belt clip for the tranmitters. Whereas if I had the bodypack, I can't convert that to a handheld without another wire. Would I risk any loss in quality by doing this? And can anyone recommend good lavs for this? Thanks!
Min Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2007, 04:49 PM   #2
Inner Circle

The plugon doesn't have the range of the body mic.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2007, 12:10 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Min Lee View Post
I'm going to buy the AT 1800 but tell me if there's a flaw in my logic. I think it'd be more versatile to get two plug-in transmitter. There are times when I need lav and handheld. Should I need a lav, I can get a regular XLR lav and pouches with belt clip for the tranmitters. Whereas if I had the bodypack, I can't convert that to a handheld without another wire. Would I risk any loss in quality by doing this? And can anyone recommend good lavs for this? Thanks!
the body plug would not power your lavaliere without 12ph to bias converter
also it bulky to use that way , good only when you need it as back up
if you intend to use handhelds , buy the battplugs and if it lavs -regular
Oleg Kaizerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2007, 12:19 PM   #4
Major Player

Thanks Ty. Any idea what's the difference in range? The specs list 300 feet. I probably won't need more than 100 tops. It's really more about convenience.

I guess I'm more concern about connectivity. The phantom power is only 12V, it seems most XLR lavs requires a range that exceeds that. I'm looking at the countryman EMW, specs said it required 1.5-24V but the same mic except with 4 pin connectors is listed at B&H as compatible with with Audio Technica. Should I expect any problem if I use this mic? Has anyone tried any XLR lavs that worked well with at AT plug-on?

Oleg, What is a bias converter? Is that like an amp I can buy? I did a quick search on that and found nothing, do you have a link to one?
Min Lee is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio