Recording into Laptop - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old October 2nd, 2007, 05:32 PM   #31
Major Player

SD 722 versus Laptop

Hi David,

On one side, you've fallen in love with Boom Recorder while on the other you're quite passionate about audio quality (SD 302 vs XL-2 pre-amp). My sense is the signal/noise ratio on the XL-2 pre-amp is fine working in the linear range (keeping amp gain no more than two-thirds). Of course, the SD 302 is top of the line - no comparison there. But I'm a bit concerned with the audio quality of your suggested solution if you're trying to keep a high-quality audio chain. I can't imagine the audio specs of a $180 Mackie Onyx Satelite comparing with the SD722 - I suggest you closely look at the specs for the analog/digital converters.

FYI - I also enjoy using my laptop (PC) for audio recordings, sitting right next to my Marantz PMD660; call me "belt and suspenders kind of guy" - I'm not willing to lose critical audio due to technical or cockpit snafus! But I haven't found either of these solutions provide better audio quality than my XL-2s.

On the other hand, I've found the gain pots on my Alesis Multimix are awfully noisy when the amps are turned up beyond half way. When I'm using a high quality inefficient mic like my Heil PR-40, I need to use an external pre-amp - forget the amp on the Alesis! So even while Mackie makes good stuff, we need to be careful with the configuations (sorry if I sound like I'm singing to the choir...)

Good luck, Michael
Michael Nistler is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio