Help with HV20 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old September 17th, 2007, 10:45 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Help with HV20

Right now I'm using an AT822 with my HV20 (connected via XLR>3.5mm). Results are good for concerts, but looking for something for documentaries.

I am considering a shotgun mic and tested the Rode M3 today. Sounds great, except that sound was only in one channel...

What's the deal? Any way to fix this?

Thanks!!!
Roland Gatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2007, 02:34 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Hi Roland,

The AT822 is a stereo microphone while the Rode M3 is a mono microphone.
So with the M3 you only get to record the sound on 1 channel.

You can use a field mixer to balance the sound in the middle of the stereo field if you wish to do so while shooting but it can also be done in post of course.
Andre Theelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2007, 04:36 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland Gatto View Post
Right now I'm using an AT822 with my HV20 (connected via XLR>3.5mm). Results are good for concerts, but looking for something for documentaries.

I am considering a shotgun mic and tested the Rode M3 today. Sounds great, except that sound was only in one channel...

What's the deal? Any way to fix this?

Thanks!!!
Uhhh - the M3 is not a shotgun mic anyway. It's a cardioid vocalist's mic designed primarily for close-in use. For a Rode shotgun, look to the NTG-1 or NTG-2 (same mic with different powering). For docos and dialog, virtually all recording is done in mono. Stereo is used mainly for music, ambience, and perhaps Foley.
Old September 18th, 2007, 11:18 PM   #4
Regular Crew

hey guys, thank you very much for your help! is there any way to get sound in both channels with the NTG-2? i don't have a mixer and don't plan on buying one.

thanks!!
Roland Gatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2007, 02:46 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland Gatto View Post
hey guys, thank you very much for your help! is there any way to get sound in both channels with the NTG-2? i don't have a mixer and don't plan on buying one.

thanks!!
You can rig up an mono XLR-1/8" stereo adapter or buy one for relatively few bucks but why is it an issue? Positioning of the dialog between the two channels is best done during post, not when recording in the field, and as long as you have the track on tape, when you get to the editing you can pan it left, right, or anywhere in between as you see fit.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio