Modest Price Hypercardoid mic - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old September 23rd, 2007, 06:59 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Steve,

Seriously, consider the SCX-1.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2007, 07:48 PM   #17
Trustee

thanks for the reccomendation. any online samples of it ?

I need to pick something up in about a month or so.

Have you used the OktavaMod 012 ? at least in the online comparisons of the straight vs modded mic's it sounded good. I need mild cardoid and hypercardoid pickup patterns for use in practical interiors where shotguns get you into trouble because you don't want narrow pickup, you need something wider to cover 2-4 people talking next to each other, like at a table, or standing in a group, with low ceiling. I know... I'll get a CMC641 + MK21 sometime next year, but between now and then, I'm looking for something.
Steve Oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2007, 08:23 PM   #18
Inner Circle

Wow. In that position, I'd bite the big one and get a cmc641 now and another one next year. (I have two).

Regards,

Ty
Old September 23rd, 2007, 09:08 PM   #19
Trustee

well I'm doing a staged upgrade of all my gear, not just audio right now. just bought a 575 HMI a month ago, 2 lectro 195's (used), as well as smaller items, so I'm trying to stretch it out a little. I know if I pick up either the oktava or Audix, I can either sell it and roll the money over into a shoeps, or keep it as backup, 2nd tier use. Its not that I couldn't get the cmc641 setup, its that I'm also looking at a new lav or two ( ecm 44 or 77's, or B6 ), modding my fp33, and some other small items which I need.so available funds are spoken for right now. BTW, a oktavamod 012 with 3 capsules,-10db cut, basic mount is $419... not that the audix doesn't have my attention, but I didn't find any pricing on the capsules. I assume it comes with a cardoid, and the hypercardiod is unknown...
Old September 23rd, 2007, 09:24 PM   #20
Inner Circle

Steve,

I'm sure the SCX-1 I saw and heard was a hyper.

http://www.audixusa.com/products.html

2nd teir maybe. I doubt you'll sell it.

Ty
Old September 23rd, 2007, 10:52 PM   #21
Inner Circle

Have you?

Hi Ty:

I am intrigued the Audix SCX1. Have you used one? How is the handling noise? Off axis rejection? I am curious and wish that I could have included one of these in my article but I am out of time and in the middle of writing up all of the test results.

All the best,

Dan
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2007, 08:24 AM   #22
Trustee

ok, who has the audix capsules ? B&H for a quick look sells them with your choice of capsule, but doesn't list individual ones. is it a direct buy from audix ?
Old September 24th, 2007, 08:35 AM   #23
Inner Circle

I'd suggest posting a message to member Marty Atias. He has long been a proponent of Audix.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2007, 08:41 AM   #24
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Brockett View Post
Hi Ty:

I am intrigued the Audix SCX1. Have you used one? How is the handling noise? Off axis rejection? I am curious and wish that I could have included one of these in my article but I am out of time and in the middle of writing up all of the test results.

All the best,

Dan
Hello Dan,

I don't suggest gear without having had some experience with it. 70% of a cmc641 at 70% of the cost (+/- a few points).

Having said that, I own two cmc641, use them regularly and wouldn't trade them for SCX-1 even if you also gave me cash as well.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Old September 25th, 2007, 12:04 PM   #25
Regular Crew

Dan Brockett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Brockett View Post
Hi all:

I concluded tests for an article I am writing ...

Cost is not always an indicator of quality. One of the most impressive mics I tested was Audio-Techinca's new AT-875R.

Dan
Dan

Do you have any preliminary results on the AT-875R? I'm wondering how the 90hz bottom limit affects practical usage.
Tsu Terao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2007, 02:51 PM   #26
Inner Circle

Dan,

NOT trying to be snarkey, just curious. What's your background in reviewing mics?

I have the AT875R here. While it is described as a hypercardioid, it is also employs an interference tube. They are usually wonky off axis somewhere.

It does require 11 to 48 V DC phantom power and sounded pretty nice when I had it plugged in the other day. I even ran on my AT U100 plugon transmitter and that only provides 10 V DC. I would NOT recommend doing that on a regular basis. Operating below rated voltage and current results in degraded audio.

Regards,

Ty
Old September 25th, 2007, 05:44 PM   #27
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsu Terao View Post
Dan

Do you have any preliminary results on the AT-875R? I'm wondering how the 90hz bottom limit affects practical usage.
Hi Tsu:

I did do extensive recording and am in the middle of writing the review including the 875r. I think that for the money, it is a very impressive mic with great sound. I may pick one up myself, it's quite good for the money. Audio-Technica has a winner with this one IMHO.

BTW, there is very little usable content below 90hz in most location sound situations so I would say it affects the usability very little. Most of the time, we end up using bass roll off on either the mic or the mixers to knock down a lot of the low end rumble.

The article will go live toward the end of October, still waiting to get my hands on the Neumann KMR81i and the Sennheiser MKH-416, both weren't available to me until after AES ends.

Best,

Dan
Old September 25th, 2007, 06:10 PM   #28
Inner Circle

Hiya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Ford View Post
Dan,

NOT trying to be snarkey, just curious. What's your background in reviewing mics?
No snarkiness taken. I worked in a recording studio as an engineer in my late teen/early twenties years, have always been a musician and have been recording location sound on mostly my own shoots but also on shoots for many others since the mid-1980s. I was also in retail consumer and professional audio sales involved with Harman International and several other popular brands.

Plus I love quality microphones, I own a Neumann TLM-103, TLM-49, various Sennheiser shotguns, cardioids and super cardioids as well as several lavalieres. I too have been curious about the Oktava, the Neumann KMRs, etc. so I took the bull by the horns and setup my own informal, practical and non-test bench type of testing. I figured if I recorded all of the mics in common practical, identical situations, those sound files coupled with my observations might be interesting to many non sound mixers. Really only sound guys seem to care a lot about specs and test-bench testing. I have no anechoic chamber, just my humble HVX-200, a PSC M4 MKII and these mics to test.

I never wanted to make location sound mixing my chosen profession as I have a good friend and business partner who is a professional location sound mixer and sound designer. But I love audio, love to dabble with it and experiment and observe the different ways to record good quality sound.

I have written several popular location sound articles for www.kenstone.net over the years,
http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage...r_tutoria.html
http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/review_deck_1.html
http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage..._disc_rec.html
http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage...tgun_mics.html
http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage...ion_sound.html
http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage...4_editors.html
http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage...k_editors.html
http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage...rting_dan.html
http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage...als_fcp_4.html
http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage..._brockett.html

I prefer to write for Ken over the magazines and other websites because he is a nice guy, a friend and his website features no politics, no ads, no pop-ups and is an unbiased information resource and he attracts lots of talented people.

I have also lectured and taught audio at the Los Angeles Final Cut Pro Users Group (I am one of the co-founders of the group) and have shot thousands of interviews, television shows, documentaries as a lighting cameraman, director and producer. I also wrote a book for O'Reilly on Apple's Soundtrack, before it became Soundtrack Pro. That's why I always try to write from the perspective of appealing to someone like me, who knows something about sound but is not necessarily in the C.A.S. or is a working sound mixer. The fact of life is that more and more camerapeople, editors, producers and directors, especially in the low-end of things are recording their own sound. They often don't have the budget to hire a sound crew. My articles and training are all aimed at them, not at professional sound mixers. I always try to hire sound mixers and boom operators when the budget permits but as I am sure you have experienced, there are a LOT of productions that are shot with one and two person crews where there is no budget for sound.

BTW, a question for you. I bought an Ogio Ty Video Backpack for a shoot in the U.K. to transport my HVX and PB. So do you get a big cut of that? ;-) http://www.ogio.com/product.php?product=57

Dan

Last edited by Dan Brockett; September 25th, 2007 at 10:22 PM.
Old October 1st, 2007, 01:37 PM   #29
Regular Crew

If you want a truly budget workhorse mic, try the AKG C1000s. I have found it is extremely durable, affordable and works for lots of different situations with the interchageable carioid/Hypercardioid pattern.
Mark G
Mark Ganglfinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2007, 03:30 PM   #30
Inner Circle

No hard feelings, but the c1000, while usable in average PA situations, is usually frowned upon in location audio because it's pretty edgey.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio