Azden SGM-2X -- Two Thumbs Up! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old June 2nd, 2003, 10:40 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Azden SGM-2X -- Two Thumbs Up!

For the past couple of weeks my wife and I were in the Pac NW at a variety of rain forest and coastal locations shooting a bunch of stock footage for our projects using our (relatively) new Canon GL2. I had no accessories outside of some B+W 58mm filters and big LIon batteries. While in Portland, OR (OR has no sales tax) I was in "Camera World" (now owned by Ritz Camera). They price-match B&H on the spot and you get to walk out with it -- yeehaw! They are also the only outfit in town that carries Century Optics stuff and the higher end camera shotgun mics. After buying some adapters, matte box, MA-300 XLR adapter, etc, it was time to talk microphones. The sales guy said the Azden SGM-2X was better than the Sennheiser ME66 at nearly half the price. Naturally I was skeptical, especially considering that they didn't even carry the ME66 and I had my heart set on it already. They have a return policy and I needed the mic then and there, so I decided to give it a shot.

=====
EDIT
=====

I (now) know that Chris is (rightfully) touchy when it comes to touting vendors that he has not personally investigated and endorsed as sponsors of DV Info Net. I do not endorse Camera World nor would I have bought anything from them if I didn't need to get the stuff on the spot and walk out with it. In a nutshell, they were my only source at the time and I had no choice. It worked out in my favor, but I have personally decided to buy from Chris' sponsors when possible after checking out their competitive prices, service, credentials, and the fact that I have received a great deal from the DVi forums and am more than happy to give my business to those who make it possible.

I felt obligated to add this after seeing some recent posts and I will be more sensitive to this in my future postings as well.
=====

Well, not only was I able to get the SGM-2X and MA-300 for the same price as the ME66 alone, but blow me away -- the thing performs like a champ. Highly directional, super sensitive, wide freq response range, XLR -- the whole package. The provided windscreen also performs exceptionally well as a give-away. Quite often we were in windy situations where I was sure that it would interfere, but it didn't. It really absorbed the concussion wave quite nicely (it was only moderate wind) and maintained the audio quality.

No noise, no hiss, just barely out of sight of the Canon WD-58 W/A adapter by a micron. It is a perfect match for the GL2/MA-300 and makes the whole setup (GL2/WD-58/Century Matte Box) look professional (while I am not). On countless occasions we were asked by passers-by if we were shooting for National Geographic (go figure).

I have not tried "Hypercardioid" mode (at least I don't think so), so I don't know about that. Also, the SGM-2X comes with an OMNI mic as well as the directional shotgun which will do nicely when I need it -- better than the built-in GL2 mic anyway.

I am very impressed.
Old June 3rd, 2003, 07:59 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Hey Brendan,

Your post was helpful. I am in the middle of trying to decide between the Canon DM-50 and the Schriber SA-568. The Canon can only be used on the camera's hot shoe, which is a big concern to me, but it is desinged for the GL2 so it shouldn't have any hiss issues. The Schriber on the other hand can be used off the camera but according to some other posts here has some potential hiss problems.

I bought my GL2 at the exact same store in Portland that you purchased you mic. I only mention that because those guys know what they're talking about and I am gald to get their input indrectly. Don't worry though, I'll buy my mic from Zotz (sponsor).

I will definitely do some checking up on the Azden.

By the way, do you have to have an XLR adapter to use this mic, or can you plug a cable directly into the jack on the side of the camera?

Thanks,
Alex
Old June 3rd, 2003, 10:47 PM   #3
Trustee

I have this shotgun too, and you need an XLR adapter. I recommend the Studio1Productions.com XLR BP Pro. I did some comparison testing between it and the Beachtek and I consistently found the Studio1 to let through more sound, of better quality. That thread where I posted my findings in detail is somewhere around here.

I'll reiterate what I said there - I'm not an audio guru. But I listened and re-listened until my ears bled, and the differences were pretty obvious to my naked ears.

Also, I do like this shotgun. I won't attempt to compare it to a Sennheiser since I don't own one, but I'm happy with it; it produces good sound, has a good range, and does what I need it to. And the ability to crack it in half and use it as a hand-held mic is pretty convenient at times. I wouldn't try to shoot hollywood productions with it but it's a great indie filmmaker's tool.
Imran Zaidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2003, 12:39 PM   #4
New Boot

This is my first post by the way. This forum is great and it helped me take good decisions so fars. Thank you..

Anyway, I got my Azden SGM-2X today (along with a BeachTek DXA-4P XLR adapter) I also got an Azden WLX-PRO Wireless Mic system, for use with the Canon XM2 (the PAL GL2)

I will be "testing" all of this over the weekend and hope to be able to contribute something to this forum soon. I am totally new to this that's why I'm saying "testing" :)

One note/question though. According to the original post in this thread by Brendan, the SGM-2X should be out of the sight of the GL2 with a WD-58H "by a hairbreadth".

Well, I mounted the mic (with the long barel) on the GL2 and tip of the mic appeared in the picture.

It was only when i pushed the mic furhter back into the rubberband-supperted shock mount did the mic get out of the way. The on/off switch was then no longer beyond the shock mount but inside it (still easy accesible though).

Am I affecting the mic by placing the barrel this way? I ask this because all images of the SGM-2x seem to show that the barrel is pushed to the front.

Hope to be back soon with a "test" :)
Ahmad Humeid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2003, 03:35 PM   #5
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Ahmad Humeid : One note/question though. According to the original post in this thread by Brendan, the SGM-2X should be out of the sight of the GL2 with a WD-58H "by a hairbreadth".

Well, I mounted the mic (with the long barel) on the GL2 and tip of the mic appeared in the picture.

It was only when i pushed the mic furhter back into the rubberband-supperted shock mount did the mic get out of the way. The on/off switch was then no longer beyond the shock mount but inside it (still easy accesible though) -->>>

That is correct, the On/Off switch is now "inside" the shockmount, but still accessible. It does not affect the performance of the microphone at all.
Old July 10th, 2003, 06:07 PM   #6
Major Player

Another solution is to add a shoe adapter that will raise the mic with about an inch or so and that usually solves the problem.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh6/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=89969&is=REG
Marty Wein is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio