DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Recommend Me a Stand to Hold Boom and Mic. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/104656-recommend-me-stand-hold-boom-mic.html)

Peter Moretti September 29th, 2007 09:04 PM

Recommend Me a Stand to Hold Boom and Mic.

In some instances, I'm not going to have someone hold the boom mic, so I'll need to use a stand. I'd LOVE any recommendations on what stand to use to hold the boom.

The equipment will be a K-Tec carbon fiber boom pole and Sennheiser MKH-60 mic.

Thanks very much!

Steve House September 29th, 2007 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Moretti (Post 752023)
In some instances, I'm not going to have someone hold the boom mic, so I'll need to use a stand. I'd LOVE any recommendations on what stand to use to hold the boom.

Thanks very much!

How about a Century/lighting stand with a couple of sandbags on the legs and a swivel clamp to fasten the K-Tek boom to the stand?

Peter Moretti September 29th, 2007 10:31 PM

Steve,

I've been a little unsure about using a C-stand b/c all of the specifically designed boom stands seem to have fold-up legs, e.g. the Manfrotto 3398 (420) boom stand (which actually includes a boom pole I believe).

I guess you feel a C-stand is sturdy enough. Thanks for your input.

Steve Oakley September 30th, 2007 02:26 AM

a C stand is *way* sturdy enough to hold a boompole and mic, even at 12 ft. At 6-8 ft, you don't need, but should use one sand bag, at 12ft, certainly use one. LONG LEG TO LOAD as every grip knows ! I've had far heavier loads on a C stand then a boom pole. they are made of steel, although they do come in several grades from lightweight up to the super heavy Avenger versions which I have.

What you want is a $29 boom boy holder that will hold the pole. put a standard grip head onto the stand minus the grip arm, insert boom boy and get your pole into it. you NEVER EVER want to grab the boom pole with a grip head or maffer clamp because you will break it, or at best severely scratch / dent / crack it.

Ty Ford September 30th, 2007 06:43 AM

Hey,

Steve's right. If you can't find a boom boy, stop by the local fishing shop.

See my video. Hopefully it attached. Hmm, looks like it didn't for some reason.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Michael Nistler October 1st, 2007 04:27 PM

Booming gear

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Moretti (Post 752023)

Thanks very much!

Hi Peter,

We should all have several Matthews 2 1/2" Hollywood Grips in our gear bag and I use one to go from my boom pole to a General Brand Boom Pole Holder; see:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...le+holder&ci=0

Be sure to buy a boom pole with an internal XLR cable if you'll also be using a boom operator from time to time (keeps the XLR cable/connector from banging on the pole). On that note, I assume you've got something like a Rode Shock Mount. And if you're going to be outside, you'll need a Baby Ball Gag Windshield, Windjammer, and... oh, we don't want to scare you away!

Happy hunting, Michael

Ken Steadman March 22nd, 2009 06:22 PM

I use this sometimes depending on the shot.
On-Stage | SB9600 Studio Tripod Boom Stand | SB9600 | B&H Photo

Richard Gooderick March 22nd, 2009 07:23 PM

This works well:
BOOM-BUDDY

Jeffery Magat March 22nd, 2009 07:31 PM

Aside from the boom pole holder and grip head. I'd recommend getting a century plus stand. The base comes off, which makes it a lot easier to transport.

Nicole Hankerson March 24th, 2009 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken Steadman (Post 1031795)
I use this sometimes depending on the shot.
On-Stage | SB9600 Studio Tripod Boom Stand | SB9600 | B&H Photo

Checked that out. Its very nice and I'm going to purchase one of those very soon. So when do you generally use this particular stand? I was thinking for inside shots using my microphone, wireless mic(s), and a table top microphone. I could then stay out of the shot and listen and adjust accordingly. What do you think? Thanks in advance.

Thanks
Nicole

Ken Steadman March 25th, 2009 07:37 AM

I use it indoors on static shots. If the actor is going to be in the same position for a lot of dialogue I will put it on the boomstand and the sound op can just monitor it off the stand. If you are working solo I think it would help alot. I use it save the boom ops arms on a long shoot. It only takes maybe a minute to put it back on a standard boom for more dynamic motion. The way the arm locks would make it impossible to use in a moving shot.

Guy Cochran March 26th, 2009 11:18 AM

I like the Manfrotto 420B as it is lighter than typical C-stand and features a built-in "convertible" boom arm. Pretty slick. Introducing the Combi Boom - A must have stand for lighting and location sound on Vimeo

Larry Vaughn March 26th, 2009 08:22 PM

wal mart boom pole holder

wal mart sells a fishing pole for about $12 and it is about the same as the audio boom pole holders I see advertised for $30 to $40.
One difference is the end is threaded, which could come in handy at some point.