Sony PCM-D50 and XLR-1 at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old October 9th, 2007, 04:29 PM   #1
Major Player

Sony PCM-D50 and XLR-1

This seems like a great digital audio recorder. I've been worried about the lag, delay, and the build quality reported on the Zoom recorders (though they do offer a good bang for buck).

Suffice to say, this one has caught my eye. Has anyone else considered it? I've heard you can use it with the XLR-1 which is a 2-XLR-input add-on module that Sony first introduced to go with the PCM-D01.

I'm wondering though, since the XLR-1 addon is a little pricey, if it will work on any other devices? It seems to be structured just like a Beachtek device (but without the knob adjustments). I'd love to use it on a camcorder that only has a mini-jack input, perhaps an HDR-HC7 or HV20.

Any thoughts? Anyone have any experiences with this product?
Craig Irving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2007, 09:36 AM   #2
Major Player

Bump... no one cares about this one?
Craig Irving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2007, 12:08 PM   #3
Major Player

Yeah it looks good. I've heard the U.S. price will be $600 or maybe less but would like to know if it will be the usual U.K. rip off and we will be asked 500 for it?

With a little luck and the current excgange rate the UK price might be under 400. Who knows?

Certainly does look like the bigger players are getting on the bandwagon.

If it is a reasonable price then I for one would like to retire my fidly mini disc and get one.

No news yet about a UK release though.
Jimmy Tuffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2007, 01:04 PM   #4
Major Player

I just found a 5-page thread on Tapperssection.com where they have been discussing it at length. The street price seems to be about USD$499 even though it lists at USD$599.

Personally I'm excited about it. I trust the build quality on this product far more than the Microtrack or Zoom H4 products.
Craig Irving is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio